Cable Modem

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Cable Modem

Post by Thor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Doing some cleaning out of my tech trash I came accross a Terayon cable modem. I currently dont have Cable TV coming into my house so I hooked it up to the wall with a coax cable and plugged the ethernet jack into my laptop. I got some intersting results afterwards.

I port scanned the modem and found 80/tcp and 514/udp open. 80 of course brings me to the admin panel. And after more screwing around I found a "hidden" configuration page. It needs a password once you find it so googled...of course. That page doesn't really configure much after getting into it but trying to connect to 514/udp I almost connect but it blocks me saying it restricted for security reasons. I'm still trying to find a way past that.

Wireshark shows interesting things coming out of my wall with no cable. I have been able to locate a qwest TFTP server and some other random traffic.

I know comcast has service in this area but am unable to find the comcast TFTP server I would send a spoofed MAC to. Would this technique still work with a broadband carrier? Also, I have read a ton of material about the notorious SB Motorola modems but they all are about "buying this and loading that". Is there anyone out there with some more in depth knoweledge of modems? I'd atleast be trying to fully unlock it for the sport of it and to load my own ware or find "anything" out about that 514 port.

Tech_Junkie
Your Senior

Re: Cable Modem

Post by Tech_Junkie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:48 pm

I have no info on the subject. Just a question.

These days phone companies leave 911 access on disconnected phones.

Is it possible this is related to a broadband phone version of that?

edsfunsite
Hacker in Training

Post by edsfunsite » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

The tftp server could be the tftp server that comcast uses to get your upload and download speeds. The server would be located in the modem.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Looking more into this the other day, it looks like my next steps are gonna be to make a jtag connector and connect to it that way so I can upload either my own stuff or maybe some 3rd party warez that I've seen in some google results.

I need to grab the actual config file from the modem. Problem is I haven't been able to wing that yet. I tried sniffing for the config but several hundred packets later no joy.

Looks like the jtag will be the only way to access some parts of the modem. The hidden configuration page isn't showing any useful info (I think it would if I actaully had comcast service though). I'll be heating up the sodering iron and post my new results soon, maybe i'll find some good shit on this subject. The whole modem hacking scene looks to be dominated by the Motorola surfboard modems now. Maybe I'lll change that.

edsfunsite
Hacker in Training

Post by edsfunsite » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Yeah, definitely keep us updated.

bianca
n00b

Post by bianca » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:58 am

How far can a wireless modem work? I have a Mcdonalds that is 0.2 miles away ( a little over 1000 feet), that has free WIFI. Would it be possible for me to pick this up with a wireless modem? I have a cable modem now, but who wouldn't like free internet if you had the chance!

narada
Hacker in Training

Post by narada » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:33 pm

bianca wrote:How far can a wireless modem work? I have a Mcdonalds that is 0.2 miles away ( a little over 1000 feet), that has free WIFI. Would it be possible for me to pick this up with a wireless modem? I have a cable modem now, but who wouldn't like free internet if you had the chance!
I suspect that you're a bot due to the latter part of your post, but I'll reply anyway.

Wireless range varies greatly depending on a number of factors; Weather, building construction, signal power, antennae, to name a few. As for your question I'm leaning towards a pretty strong, "no." Assuming McDonalds cared enough to buy high-spec, modern equipment for their hotspot the signal will probably have already lost considerable strength within 300 feet without a range expander. I doubt you will get any signal integrity by 1000+ feet, if you can even pick up on the access point at all.

eleanori
n00b

Post by eleanori » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:04 am

What is the best and fastest modem for Comcast? I have had my Comcast modem for about 7 years now and need a new one. I am looking for the fastest and smoothest modem COMPATIBLE WITH COMCAST. Also, please include the price and a link. Thanks very much! I can work even faster on Answers then.

infinite_
Bat Country

Post by infinite_ » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:01 am

eleanori, the following two points are very important so read them carefully:

1) This thread is old; please don't revive old threads. Check the dates of previous posts before posting.
2) Don't hijack threads. Your question has nothing to do with the OP. If you want to ask something, you can create your own thread.

If you haven't already, please take 5 minutes to read HTd0rg FORUM RULES & CODE OF CONDUCT. Other than that, welcome to the forums! Feel free to start your own thread and we'll do the best we can to help you :)
My effort to help you will never exceed your effort to explain the problem.