Black Armor trouble

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
9c5
n00b

Black Armor trouble

Post by 9c5 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey guys, I have a small problem with my external drive. Some of you might have heard of the Maxtor Black Armor which is a 128-AES encrypted drive.

My issue it this, I picked up this drive to replace my overworked thumb drive, but at the University I attend they have security in place that does not allow me to run the Maxtor unlock utility which means I can't use the drive at all.

Possible solutions:
1) I was considering a re-format to allocate some space to be unlocked and some to be locked but the drive has hardware encryption so I doubt this would work.

2) I'm not sure if this would work, but could I potentially run a batch file to install the utility manually? (I am not familiar with batch files so I don't know if this is plausible).

I am open to any other suggestions, hopefully I can find a way to get this to work, otherwise I'm stuck with my thumbdrive(which I wanted to use to run BackTrack4). Which is another reason I am disappointed with the BlackArmour, cannot boot from it :cry: but that is my fault for not looking into it before I bought it.

Thanks for any help.

Aiden
Administrator

Re: Black Armor trouble

Post by Aiden » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:00 pm

9c5 wrote:Hey guys, I have a small problem with my external drive. Some of you might have heard of the Maxtor Black Armor which is a 128-AES encrypted drive.

My issue it this, I picked up this drive to replace my overworked thumb drive, but at the University I attend they have security in place that does not allow me to run the Maxtor unlock utility which means I can't use the drive at all.
If it's a problem with your university's security settings, you might want to talk to your local network admin about what you can do instead (they're nice, I promise!) If you're lucky, he'll adjust your privileges or something where you can use it, but I don't know the network so I don't know if he could do that. :P

Perhaps you could look into plugging it into a computer at home, and then VNC/SSH'ing back to it to access all the files? Otherwise, maybe look at online storage. If you're super crafty, you can start a gmail account and utilize the jillions of space available to just email yourself your files. It makes for a good, dated, version control system as well. ;)
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."