Current Procs: AMD vs. Intel

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
byte
n00b

Current Procs: AMD vs. Intel

Post by byte » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 am

Hey guys, first post, just joined. Its been a while since I've found myself doing the kinds of things spoken of here on the forums, so I've got a lot of catching up to do!

I was wondering what your opinion was of the latest AMD and Intel processors. I'm looking at building a new rig and it's been sometime since I've done so. I'm sitting at my old P4HT 2.8/ASUS P4800s and this has been a really good computer for me. I built it probably going on 4 years ago, and it's always been 100% stable and runs like a top.

I'm looking at all the dual/quad procs out there and I must say I'm afraid to deviate from Intel for the sake of stability. I'm sure AMD has made leaps and bounds of improvement since I messed around with the old K3/4/5 procs back in the day. What are your takes on this subject? Besides web and ftp, I like to do a little gaming on the side and that's about it.

Give me your thoughts/recommendations. I'd appreciate it.

narada
Hacker in Training

Re: Current Procs: AMD vs. Intel

Post by narada » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 am

If you want to game on Intel, go for an i7. I'm a hands down AMD guy but the i7 is just a plain monster. It's probably overkill for a casual gamer unless you plan on doing a hefty upgrade, though.

CorbenDallas
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by CorbenDallas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 am

I agree with narada. I've been using a Q8200 for a year now, and it's never glitched. Generally, I find AMD easier to work with in terms of overclocking (the Q8200 is not suitable at all for overclocking), but the Q and i7 series are monsters with chipsets to match.
Homer: "Look! That kid's got bossoms!! Who's got a wet towel!? Hehehehe {SNAP} come're ya little butterball!"
Uter: "Don't... make me run!... I'm... full of chocolate!"

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:34 am

I've also always been with AMD, but since the dual/quad cores Intel just has better value for money imo.

Also, I've had a Q9540 (standard 2.66 ghz, overclocked to 3.2 ghz) and I currently have a Q9550 (standard 2.83 ghz, overclocked to 3.5 ghz). This is the highest stable speeds I could get outof these chips.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.