Cisco UCS

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
horze
Hacker in Training

Cisco UCS

Post by horze » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 am

Ever Wonder What a UCS Service Profile Actually Looks Like?
A picture really is worth a thousand words. I found this out many times over doing booth duty at IDF and then Oracle Open World recently. We had the UCS Manager Platform Emulator running at IDF, but not at OOW, and being able to actually show people the flexibility, breadth and depth of control you get with the UCS approach to management made a notable difference in the tenor and seriousness of the conversations.
You can download the Platform Emulator from the Cisco Developer Network (CDN) and play with it to get a feel for how UCS Manager is organized. But I wanted to give a nod to the valuable public service provided by Kevin Houston over at BladesMadeSimple: he’s created a YouTube video using the Platform Emulator that walks you through the information and tools available to the administrator(s) in UCS Manager, including the creation of service profiles, templates and pools. It’s definitely long, but thanks to the soundtrack I found myself wanting to samba as I watched (not that I have the slightest idea how to samba; fortunately nobody was around). Simply put, it may well be the coolest 15-minute tech video you’ll see all week.
Watch the video and read more -->
http://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/ever_ ... #more-9488

Myths and Restrictions of the Cisco UCS
In statistics courses, we learn about the perils of using very small sample sizes to extrapolate possible trends or predictions. But in today’s fast paced, 24×7, 140 character world, we know that “information” spreads and morphs quickly. So spotting trends from small samples and small bits of information maybe a knee-jerk reaction, but it’s also a critical skill if you want to properly educate the market. I put information in quotes because there is a difference between FACTUAL information and speculative/FUD-driven information. Nevertheless it’s all information.
This week’s “trend” is the recent misperception that Cisco UCS only works with VMware and VCE Vblocks. I’ve heard this at least a half-dozen times this week, while qualifies as a trend in my world. Let’s correct this right now – CISCO UCS is NOT RESTRICTED to only VMware and VCE Vblock. I can imagine where this misinformation may have come from, but today I only want to focus on the FACTS.
Read more -->
http://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/myths ... cisco_ucs/