Any problems with Seagate 7200.12?

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
Book
Sargeant at Arms

Any problems with Seagate 7200.12?

Post by Book » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

I know that the 7200.11 series of Seagate drives had a lot of problems (users reporting "click-clack" sounds, reboots of "death" etc), and I even had a 7200.11 drive fail on me too.

I would expect that a company like Seagate would have fixed the damn problem, but I now see that users are also reporting problems with the 7200.12 family of drives (firmware CC34)!

Now I got a new 7200.12 drive (firmware CC46, which appears to be the latest as of this writing), without having first researched the issue, and I'm really worried right now. I'll obviously not rely on it completely from the start but, still, if it fails it'll be quite damaging.

Has anybody had any bad (personal or otherwise) experiences with the 12th family Seagate drives?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Any problems with Seagate 7200.12?

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 am

Seagate drives are not the most reliable in the world, that's been known for some time now. Especially their lower-end desktop user models. But keep in mind that for every story of one failing, there's probably thousands that never gave any problems.

As for seagate needing to fix the problems, well, yes and no. Sometimes it's just not economically viable to change something once a drive is already in production, depending on what the exact problem is.

Most likely it's just a general reliability problem with one or more of their components, which might be very hard to change out during production. Odds are they do take it into account for the next series, and the same problems won't happen again. But they'll always be low end drives. The more reliable they need to be, the more they'll cost you.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Re: Any problems with Seagate 7200.12?

Post by Book » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Really? I used to think os Seagate as a solid quality drive manufacturer, at least on par with WDC. My oldest drives are Seagate ones, but then again one person's experiences can hardy make for any conclusions

BTW, forgot to make it clear, I was talking about the Barracuda 7200.12 drive series, which I think is their "flagship" desktop model.

The drive has been working fine for as long as I've had it now. Many tests passed. Drive is quite silent and a lot faster than my other drives. I guess those will have to do.