phone, gps, location finder

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
stasik
Guru

phone, gps, location finder

Post by stasik » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 am

this is nothing important, i am just curious myself:
my phone has ovi maps and obviously gps antenna inside. i can display my location on map based on:
1. gps signal - getting coordinate from gps satellites and plotting them on map. free service, but u need to be outdor to get signal
2. wap - phone network provider can see to what antenna u are currently connected and can give u an approximate location. it cost as data transfer is used
3. wifi. so here i am, in the basement, all setting disabled (anyway there is no gps or network connection fere) i have only wifi enabled and still it finds my location, not very accurate and it moves from side to side, but still work. any ideas how???
when i ll have time, i ll check the traffic and see what is sent/received. maybe last known network antenna? when i check the location of net ip it display it wrong, so the idea of displaying the ip location is excluded

SkriptAsylum
Apprentice

Re: phone, gps, location finder

Post by SkriptAsylum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Dependent on what phone you have and how you're checking GPS location, it could be simply based off Geo-Location of your router. Google was caught recording SSID's and MAC addresses of open wifi hotspots for Geo-Location when GPS is not available, for example. Not to mention some phones 'disable' GPS but leave the service running in background.
"It's only when you've lost everything that you are free to do anything." ~Tyler Durden

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:02 am

Exactly, one thing I was trying to explain to somebody awhile back was that when Google was doing their drive-by's, what they meant by GPS was the GPS locations of the routers they found; relative to their tracking equipment on the car.

But though, im not sure I fully understand you. If your phone has active phone service, then that would likely be it, whether your GPS apps and the like are active or not. Location services.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 am

when i check the location vial laptop connected via the same router, i get it wrong, wia phone i get 95% accurate location, based only on wifi connection to my phone. mac address of the router has been change, but that does not affect the result. i ll analyze the traffic to understand how its working. home its not encrypted

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 pm

There's also location services that work based on cell tower triangulation. Just by tower signal strength, but it's pretty inaccurate.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:27 am

this is when u have service. i had no service at all..

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 pm

It might pull some data from a IP location database? Or maybe there's some wifi network name location database too?
You'll have to mess around with these variables to see if they have any effect.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.