Secure server help

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
Syklops
n00b

Secure server help

Post by Syklops » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:16 pm

So I have a secure unix server, and I want it to be able to send me messages. When I say secure, I mean it is on a part of a network, which allows inbound connections only. No outbound connections are allowed. I can connect to it by connecting to a machine which is allowed connect to it, but thats it. Ssh tunneling is one option, but is there anything else I can use. Any one have any ideas, hacks, or suggestions which would allow the secure server to get a message out to me?

Thanks,

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Any keep-alive style connection can send data back to you in theory.
Otherwise it'd have to depend. I guess if there's a firewall blocking outbound traffic, it's going to get pretty hard, the best point to attack would be that firewall, see if there's anything it DOES allow. (Maybe a few specific ports that are allowed to send?)
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Syklops
n00b

Post by Syklops » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:32 pm

oops, should have said. Im not hacking it. Its my server(well sort of), but I want a secure way of getting stuff from it.

I was thinking maybe having the server that can connect to it connect to the secure server once an hour to an allowed port, download the logfile or whatever, and then have it relay the log to sendmail so it can mail me.

Any one any other ideas?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:34 pm

If it's yours, you can just tell it to allow just that one thing at a specific time?

edit: If the firewall is a software firewall, running on the same machine, it's quite easy to script.
(Or even easier to set if you install Webmin)
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!

Syklops
n00b

Post by Syklops » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:10 pm

The box is governed by various security certifications, standards etc. I can do whatever I want to the firewall on the box. Its is the 4 tiers of hardware firewalls surrounding it I cant touch.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Well, it has to allow a couple of outbound packages in order to support incomming TCP/IP connections. It's hard to tell without being able to examine it what the options are really.