My computer won't boot... need help with the startup via ope

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
Timelea
n00b

My computer won't boot... need help with the startup via ope

Post by Timelea » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 am

i have a problem with my internal HDD. When this all happened, i was playing a game online. I got a Virus Worm and i shut down my computer and reformatted my HDD and put windows back on. I had a secondary HDD in for back-up purposes. so got windows in and put everything back, but i then noticed that my computers performance went down drastically with my main HDD, I could not copy anything i had onto the back-up drive and once i did it was so slow to copy the file. Once i had all the files on the back-up drive, i decided to start from the back-up drive with windows. Same applied. It was really slow with the reading-and-writing. i decided to take the secondary back-up drive out and boot from the main HDD. Everything seemed to be running smoothly i checked the main HDD Temperature with HD tune. The drives temp was 37 degrees Celsius, and the drive went to normal temperature of 43-44 degrees Celsius. I then decided to plug in the secondary HDD and leave it on for a day. the temperature went from 43-44 degrees to 47-48 degrees Celsius. So my guess is that the HDD drives are getting way to hot, and i am getting what seems like bad sectors in the drive, but it has never done this before. I have always had my back-up drive in ever since i got my main HDD. I can't place my finger on what is wrong with my drives. Once the main HDD is lower temperatures the drive seems to be performing better. but its normal temperature is 43-44 degrees Celsius and i still have some problems with reading and writing then. Can someone tell me what has happened please. I dont know if it was from the worm virus or if the temperatures are getting too hot (but has never done this before) can someone tell me what to do. I have changed the line leading into the motherboard as well, and that seems to have no effect. i even swapped the board lines between the CD drives and the HDD drives, no effect on that either. can someone tell me what is going on, i have ran out of options.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: My computer won't boot... need help with the startup via

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 pm

1. If you can, stick the drive into another machine and see if it's actually broken. (Or has bad sectors.)
2. anything under 80 degrees Celsius is fairly acceptable for most drives. (Though not recommended for long periods of time in most cases.)
3. Use some paragraphs and/or spacing, PLEASE.