How to install Mac OS X in VirtualBox

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
CaptainCheeseTits
n00b

How to install Mac OS X in VirtualBox

Post by CaptainCheeseTits » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:10 pm

I want to install a Mac OS X VM so I can become familiar with the OS so I downloaded the latest version of OS X via torrent expecting it to be a .iso file or something but when it was finished downloading I realised its a .dmg file. I know .dmg files are like the OS X equivalent of .exe files in Windows or .deb files in Ubuntu but I don't know what to do with the file. Do I burn it onto a DVD then try and boot up with the DVD or something? Is it even possible to run Mac OS X on a computer that isn't a Mac?

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Re: How to install Mac OS X in VirtualBox

Post by GhostHawk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:55 pm

If you are going to download the torrent may as well download a prebuilt mac osx vmware image. It's what I run. If you want to do it that way you should be able to convert the dmg to an iso.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:07 am

You probably need a hackingtosh iso. But OS X is really hard to install on any virtualization platform because Apple doesn't want you to do this.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Da_Devil
Apprentice

Post by Da_Devil » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Cool_Fire wrote:You probably need a hackingtosh iso. But OS X is really hard to install on any virtualization platform because Apple doesn't want you to do this.
Yup, word is one cannot do that.

Anyways, which type of sane human being would wanna do that? :mrgreen:

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:59 am

Da_Devil wrote:Anyways, which type of sane human being would wanna do that? :mrgreen:
Might be pretty useful if you're doing some cross platform software development. Or building an exploit for OSX.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Da_Devil
Apprentice

Post by Da_Devil » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Cool_Fire wrote:
Da_Devil wrote:Anyways, which type of sane human being would wanna do that? :mrgreen:
Might be pretty useful if you're doing some cross platform software development. Or building an exploit for OSX.
True, hacking macintosh is a good thing.

Also, keep in mind an AMD64 CPU won't do even tho it's in a VM.