"Hacker OS's"

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
de1erious
n00b

"Hacker OS's"

Post by de1erious » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:29 pm

I recently stopped using Backtrack 5 for my pen-testing and other security activities in linux.. tried the new Kali linux developed by the same team, and then decided I might as well use my currently running.. more often used.. and generally better configured Debian build.

Does anyone use any other these Security distros? BT5, Kali, Backbox, Bugtraq..?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on them.

I think they're great live CD's to carry around when you're on the go, but I don't think I'll ever sacrifice partition space from my main linux distro for them again.

I also find you learn less.. as the tools are preconfigured. Setting them up myself was half the fun of using them, gives you a massive understanding of how the tool works.

Also, obviously cherry-picked programs are more efficient on system resources than just a block of things you may never think about using.

opinions guys?

de1@yerb0x>_
de1@yerb0x>_

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: "Hacker OS's"

Post by Cool_Fire » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I have a dedicated machine that runs VMs and I do keep a Kali VM on there. I generally find that it's just easier to spin up that VM when I need some tools rather than having them all installed on my local machine.

It would have to depend on how often you need them and as it turns out, that's not that often for me.
As for disk space, a few GB is easily forgiven on a machine with multiple TB of storage.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

de1erious
n00b

Re: "Hacker OS's"

Post by de1erious » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 am

That's a good point. Maybe I should look into VM'ing them instead of having a dedicated install.

I do find that sometimes I'm hurting for tools that I rarely use, and it would be nice to have them already installed.

I get a new rig in a couple days that can handle VM's better, so I'll think about it.
de1@yerb0x>_