How do I hack?

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
Allah
n00b

How do I hack?

Post by Allah » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:09 am

I decided to make this user's post a sticky for various reasons (mainly Ic3D4ne's patience to respond to the thread starter). This question gets asked all too often because people are either

a) too lazy to search.

or

b) too stupid.

Hopefully this will minimize the number of "how do I hack?" threads. If you happen to make one of these threads, your post will be sent to the Dead Thread Pool and you will be referred back to this post. Your answer is most likely to be found in this thread.

Also, please try to keep all posting intelligent and as coherent as possible. Remember this is a community. People are helping you out of their own free will, so demanding things is only going to get you less responses.

Regards,

NoUse

Ok, everyone. First off...thank you. I have a feeling Im going to get pretty friendly with this site...anyways. I have recenlty became interested in the hacking field because I would like to know particuraly how to hack forums. But, I would like more to build a solid hacking fundamental base. I was just wondering where their is to start. Like a simple run through that labels the basics, terms, and so on and so forth. Thats pretty much it for now. So thank you, and Im sorry if this seems like noobular blabber. I tried very hard for it not to be. But, I still ask for your help.

Thanks,
_rYAN

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:39 am

This has got to be stickied eventually.

Look, hacking is not a product, it's a process. Metaphorically speaking; you can't just ingest a pill and become Mr. Zero_Cool. You can however, invest time and brainpower, destroy your social life to the brink of non-existence and learn.

There is no "solid fundamental hacking base", "basic hacking terms" or "hacking basics."

The concept of hacking is such a broad concept that it has no "basics."

Basically, what I'm saying, is that you should find an area that interests you, and dig in.

Perhaps you find it interesting how computers communicate. If so, you would look into TCP/IP and all its underlying protocols.
Maybe the inner workings of computers dazzle you, which would then lead to the hardware.

Maybe you like all of it? Maybe you crave knowledge like an average american craves a BigMac? Then just find a starting point and dig in.

A prime example of a starting point would be the collection of tutorials we have here on hackerthreads.

[/rant]

p99
Apprentice

Post by p99 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:07 pm

If you want to hack sites......Start off by learning wbout what goes into making a
website. If you know how the web languages work. You will have a much greater chance of finding errors in a site's coding.

Also start small. Make some kind of server on your own network and practice hacking it. Then it's not so bad if you get caught :wink:
A genuine hacker doesn't berate newbies. Only the ones that pretend take favor in that action.

Jerkstore
Hacker in Training

Post by Jerkstore » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:36 pm

I'd say, in regards to following your interests, learn PHP, ASP, Javascript, HTML and Perl. These are required (in the least) for hacking forums and webapps.

If you're just wanting to go hack some guys forum for revenge then download Active Perl and go to milw0rm and find an exploit for the type of forum (and version) and go script kiddie it up.

Becoming a hacker takes a lot of learning and a lot of understanding about the behind-the-scenes workings of computer applications, web communication, even hardware architecture just to name a few.

If this sounds boring to you already, then you aren't ever going to become a hacker. If you want to hack a forum tomorrow without learning what you're doing, then you're a script kiddie and will more than likely be caught as soon as you successfully pull off your first defacement.
One day man will connect his apparatus to the very wheel work of the universe .. and the very forces that motivate the planets in their orbits and cause them to rotate will rotate his own machinery. (Nikola Tesla)

Allah
n00b

Post by Allah » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:06 pm

WOW! Ok, first off, thanks a lot guys for the help. I really appreciate it. And now I have a better understanding of what a hacker really is. I can tell it takes a lot. But, I consider myself somewhat of a computer suavy person. And from everything I've learned, I've learned it while having fun. I can tell you this right now, Im not going to be a 40 year old obese single man sitting in a dark room all night trying to hack. Im doing it the fun way, learning it the fun way. So, thank you, Im getting to it. Signed myself up for a few computer classes at school, already been through a few. Pretty basic I guess, so, thank you again.

EDIT:
Ic3D4ne wrote:This has got to be stickied eventually.

Look, hacking is not a product, it's a process. Metaphorically speaking; you can't just ingest a pill and become Mr. Zero_Cool. You can however, invest time and brainpower, destroy your social life to the brink of non-existence and learn.

There is no "solid fundamental hacking base", "basic hacking terms" or "hacking basics."

The concept of hacking is such a broad concept that it has no "basics."

Basically, what I'm saying, is that you should find an area that interests you, and dig in.

Perhaps you find it interesting how computers communicate. If so, you would look into TCP/IP and all its underlying protocols.
Maybe the inner workings of computers dazzle you, which would then lead to the hardware.

Maybe you like all of it? Maybe you crave knowledge like an average american craves a BigMac? Then just find a starting point and dig in.

A prime example of a starting point would be the collection of tutorials we have here on hackerthreads.

[/rant]
I can tell if I stay here. We might bump heads, and be pretty good friends at the same time. Might.

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:36 pm

Allah wrote:WOW! Ok, first off, thanks a lot guys for the help. I really appreciate it. And now I have a better understanding of what a hacker really is. I can tell it takes a lot. But, I consider myself somewhat of a computer suavy person. And from everything I've learned, I've learned it while having fun. I can tell you this right now, Im not going to be a 40 year old obese single man sitting in a dark room all night trying to hack. Im doing it the fun way, learning it the fun way. So, thank you, Im getting to it. Signed myself up for a few computer classes at school, already been through a few. Pretty basic I guess, so, thank you again.

I can tell if I stay here. We might bump heads, and be pretty good friends at the same time. Might.
I was merely make an apparently futile attempt at being witty rather speaking in seriousness when I posted the above. Although I meant most of what I said, I don't really expect you to lock your room, paint your windows black and live on spam and red bull all alone. Come on, we might be geeks, but we're not WoW-ers.

When new people approach the world of hacking they are often very misguided and most of them share the misconception that being a hacker is like playing a video game; like you'll find a tutorial, read it, and then a bubble will pop up over your head saying "Hacking skills +1."

We wish it were like that. But it isn't. There is no one way to hack a computer. In the realm of exploits alone there are thousands(Millions?) of ways to hack a computer in one way or another.

Anyway, I'm running low on time here, gotta get my ass to bed soon, so..

A hacker is just a very intelligent person that specifies in computers. What you do with that knowledge is your decision. Whether you use it to build better security systems for the average john doe, or the exact opposite, is your choice alone.

I know, I know, I rant too much. But this subject is just such a complex one I could probably write a book or two on it and still not feel having done a satisfying job of informing the world about the magnificent creature, "the hacker".

And oh, what I originally meant to post:

Don't think I'm being hostile in any way. Most of this was meant at the general newbiew population rather than you alone.

shinobi
Corporal

Post by shinobi » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 am

try read alittle about cisco

Nullset
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Nullset » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:46 am

Hacking ... i would agree with icedane... hacking is a huge thing which takes in everything not just computers

I am not a native english speaker and moreover i think icedane was more clear than i am so i would just say this

Hacking is the art of making furniture out of wood

or

Hacking is making something perform beyond it's limitation.

but in general u will use some exploits or find some on your own and use them to either get access to root or tell the webmaster about it.

basically u should go this way

operating systems >> networking >> programming.
The things are easy to do in life are also easy not to do.
http://boundedbyfreedom.blogspot.in/

3g0man
Apprentice

Post by 3g0man » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:58 am

How well do you know your hardware? Hacking of all types gets messy and when you eventually hoze up your machine you better be able to fix it
no offence really, every n00b screws the pooch on their first slackware install.

Take ALL the computer classes you can in highschool. If you don't learn anything else you will learn to type, I promise you that. Don't neglect the math classes either. Its essential if you want to get into coding later.

finally, just stay away from the darkside. That would be roughly 75% of the IPTV shows and hax0r sites out their.

On a lighter note the guys over at hak5 know their shit and have an entertaining format. If you have broadband watch a few epsiodes and you will learn some cool stuff.

anyway, good luck and hope this helps.

http://www.hak5.org

Jett
n00b

Post by Jett » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:04 pm

One of the hacker's best friends is book and/or e-books. Read and read all you can.

If you're not able to do something localy, what would make you could do it remotely? You always need to ask yourself that question. If you can't even, for lack of a better example, extract your windows password localy, what would make you think you could learn how to do it remotely?

I'll tell you what works for me, though. Don't try to become a hacker, but rather, become what you want to. If you have to ask yourself if you're a hacker, you're not. You either know or you don't, there is no question.

This is why the media sucks so much. They define hackers rather than letting hackers define themselves. Hackers a bad. They write viruses. They steal money. All they want out of whatever they're doing is to cause destruction. This is how the media portrays hackers.

Another thing you need to learn to NOT do is brag. If you, for example, get shell access to a website and end up overwriting the index.html file with "hacked by Zero Cool," you don't need to go to school the next day and tell all your friends about it. That's not what hacking is all about.

In more specific terms about actualy becoming one, like I believe I have, is to learn how to program. There won't always be a program out there for you to use and you will have to rely on yourself, in a lot of situations, to make a program to do what you want to do.

Now, if I had my AIM name in my profile (forgot if I put it there or not), the worst step you could take right now is to IM me and ask for help. I, and most people, got where they are by hard work. You'll rarely, though occasionaly, come across someone willing to teach you from the start. I'm one of those people who used to be into teaching and helping people but when those people abused me and I learned that all they wanted was to rape everything out of me that I had, I completely gave up.

I still get IMs asking me for so-and-so's password because they know that I dumped a SQL to a website and I have access to that information. Rather than that person asking how or actualy trying to get to a goal, they take the shortcut with the big sign in front of it that says "No knowledge required, ask me a question!" rather than the sign that says "Learning required, do it yourself" if you even understand what I'm trying to say.

Learn why you want to become a "hacker" and figure out if it's worth it***. Learn how computers work. Learn how to program. Learn that there IS a life almost directly related to the art of hacking.

*** As the second post stated: Learn to live without a social life. I barely have one myself. I spent most of my years from age 10 to current day learning how to program in a few languages and becoming friends with people over the internet rather than in real life. On the contrary, I'm completely content with my life, including my social life. I have friends that I can impress with my so-called skill, but they don't like me because of that certain skill since they were there since the start.

Oh, and get in touch with the people who run your school and see if they offer computer classes, etc., regarding anything that has to do with computers really. I had the opportunity to go to a college directly during summer for, what we called it there, "nerd camp" for a week. It wasn't a learning expierience, really, but it really gets you in touch with how you rank amongst others. Not to get to big-headed but I could honestly tell that 99% of these people who claimed to be into computers didn't know the first thing when it came to the art of hacking.

Sorry for the long post, doubt you'll read it but hurray for you if you did ;)

Ch0wn
Hacker in Training

Post by Ch0wn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 pm

"Learning required, do it yourself"
I can't stress this enough. Before you ask a juvenile question, and make everyone hate you, make sure you have done enough research on the topic at hand already. Basically google it, before you ask the question. 9 times out of 10 your question will be answered, but it usually takes some intense scouring. You have to prove to us that you are willing to do the work, or that you have already done the work. It always makes it easier for me to try and help someone out, when I know that they have already been trying hard. We WILL NOT spoonfeed you, so this will take some time. Which leads me to this:

YOU WILL NOT become an "elite hacker" overnight. It takes a whole lot of time and patience. It has to be something that you feel willing to become completely dedicated to. Trust me, you will read your hind quarters off until it hurts. Whenever your head starts to hurt, and you get grouchy, that's when you know you can take a break. Good luck!
This has got to be stickied eventually.
That's exactly what I thought as soon as I read the first post. I'm tired of repeating myself... :(
Intelligence is bliss...

www.freerobert.com

Blazin
that chronic

Post by Blazin » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Your asking to hack? But what exactly? :shock:
- Blazin

Net Battle Bot
Owns you

Post by Net Battle Bot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:36 pm

Does any mod feel like deleting the last 6 posts?
Without practice one cannot prove; without proof one cannot be trusted; without trust one cannot be respected.

Trivial
Corporal

Post by Trivial » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:04 pm

Ic3D4ne wrote:This has got to be stickied eventually.

[/rant]
I do understand ice3d4ne was kidding for the most part but don't take that serously, you can still have a social life and learn about the technology around hacking. All you have to do is at night when your not doing anything and you have no school th next day, get some java and a need to learn.

Just a reminder, since you ARE learning it is very usefull to wright down what you learn. Idc if you type it or use a pencil but you should make your own notes. Yeah yeah it sounds like school but its actually fun when your learning about something like this. Maybe make your own 'guide on hacking' except just for your self. It will help you remember what your reading, read it more efficently, and even understand the text you are reading.

Also just to add into this post...never be satisfied after reading only one article on subject. If you didn't understand it read it again. Once you understand that article/tutorial or w/e read another text about that area of study so that you understand it more thoroughly.

Net Battle Bot
Owns you

Post by Net Battle Bot » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:04 am

Perhaps you'd do us the favour of reading the rules before you post? It might make this "good and informed community" tolerate you just that little bit longer.
Without practice one cannot prove; without proof one cannot be trusted; without trust one cannot be respected.

jegsar
Hacker in Training

Post by jegsar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:44 pm

you wanna become a hacker? google it as the rules say. if you want to ask a specific question about something i'm sure there are people here willing to help you out but the questions "how do i hack?", "i want to be a hacker, can you teach me?", "i'm a 1337 HAXOR... how do i use telnet?" etc....... are questions to ask good. to become a hacker... READ. that is the only answer read everything about computers, hacking, programing, hardware, OSs, apps, and everything else that can interface or use or be used by a computer.
your only limit is your mind. my only limit is the speed of my fingers.

"mess with the best. die like the rest" ~ Zerocool

shleepy
n00b

Post by shleepy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm

i was wondering if anyone could direct me to the path of hacking other peoples computers, something like password obtaining.

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:55 pm

shleepy wrote:i was wondering if anyone could direct me to the path of hacking other peoples computers, something like password obtaining.
I'm not a pro or anything at it, but I know enough to get you started on researching. You could go about it different ways. If you have access to the computer (public computers), I've heard it mentioned somewhere else that you can get the password file (.pwd) and use l0phtcrack to crack the passwords. Another way would be to install either a software or hardware keylogger.

Please someone else, correct me if I'm wrong on something. Just trying to help him out.

Anyways, do your research on google for l0phtcrack, keyloggers, .pwd files (?), and other programs you might need. Although I would recommend writing most of the programs yourself so you can specify exactly what you want them to do. (And to not be a script kiddie :D )

Premonitionz
n00b

Post by Premonitionz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm new to this site, and read quite a few posts, and for a total newbie like myself, it's mind boggling. I tried opening a new topic to ask a question, but it said I didn't have enough posts to open a new topic.

Now I understand you want the newbies to participate in this forum before being able to open a new topic, but for a newbie like myself, I wouldn't know how to reply to a poster that asked any questions.

This is what I wanted to ask....

I am new to all this, and I was wondering if there was a way to sniff IP# on a Java based chat, something like Parachat. I have tried a couple of packet sniffers and all that, but I'm unable to get an IP# of the people on chat. Is there any way of gettng an IP# of a chatter and not the IP# of the chat room itself. Here's what a Parachat chatroom looks like.

http://chat.alcafe.com/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

genix1314
n00b

Post by genix1314 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 pm

I am new to all this, and I was wondering if there was a way to sniff IP# on a Java based chat, something like Parachat. I have tried a couple of packet sniffers and all that, but I'm unable to get an IP# of the people on chat. Is there any way of gettng an IP# of a chatter and not the IP# of the chat room itself. Here's what a Parachat chatroom looks like.
You can do this with a bt of social engineering.First of all summon Netcat with a command "nc -v -l -p 80 " this tells netcat to listen to port 80 that victim's browser use.Next is by sending your victim a message like "hey you wanna see this link 'http://[yourip]/mypix' blah blah blahh" then you'll see something like this at your console
connect to (your ip) from (hostname)(victims ip) port