Trying to get my internet connection back - Hack router?

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
ImmH
n00b

Trying to get my internet connection back - Hack router?

Post by ImmH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 am

Hi guys,

Just some background to what I have been going through.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/32 ... try2254766

After all those efforts, I'm still not getting anywhere.

So, in the end i would like to resolve into hacking the router to check the settings there.

I'm not actually doing something very illegal here. I have the internet access (I have the username and pw for the wifi) from my laptop but limited access from my desktop pc. Therefore, I suspect my landlord has probably limit/block my desktop access to the internet.

I have some knowledge of how to restrict user access by blocking IPs, mac address filtering to certain ports and stuff as such inside the router. Hence, I'm thinking the router must have something to do with the issue I'm having here. However I might be wrong. The problem might not lies to what I'm thinking here. So, please advice if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure whether having the username and pw to the wifi connection gives me an upper hand in hacking into the router. I have read some sites on how to hack a router but I don't quite see a clear instruction as how it is done properly. It shouldn't be that complicating. So, please give me some instructions or directions in hacking a router. Thanking in advance and apologize for my impudent request.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Trying to get my internet connection back - Hack router?

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Generally there's no surefire way to to get the password for a router. Surely you can throw a small brute force attack at it with a few word lists, check a few common, default or logical to the situation passwords and you might get lucky.

But in reality, you should just ask your landlord about this and tell him you're experiencing these issues.

There are also a few tools you can download that will try to detect if there's anyone messing with the packets along the way.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

ImmH
n00b

Post by ImmH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Alright, I guess I might just make a U-turn then. However, I'm interested in getting the tools you were saying. Can you give a name and where I can obtain it? Just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with my computer before I approach my landlord.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 am

I'd say have a look at what you can find out with this toolset:
http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.