Brutus

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
Barry Allen
n00b

Brutus

Post by Barry Allen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:06 pm

So, I just downloaded Brutus and got to know all the tools it offers. To run some test I tried to hack into a sample website, which worked and I am currently trying to get the password of an email. Everything works fine:
target: 176.9.65.83
Type POP3
Port 80
connections and timeout: 60
Try to stay connected unlimited
single user: *****.****@gmail.com
Pass Mode: Brute Force (I had to change the range, just because in the sample capital letters weren't included, I guess that's fine though)

Starting it works out fine (it tries to engage with that server), but at the end of that progress I see, that Brutus didn't do any attempts because there were no response/timed out. What did I do wrong?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Brutus

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 am

Well, since you're attacking a gmail address on a server that isn't a gmail server, chances are it's giving you some response brutus doesn't know how to properly parse.

Also, I've said it many times in the past on this forum, but brutus is really old and hasn't been updated in 15 years now. You should not be expecting it to work as well now as it did when it was written. A lot has changed since then.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.