Navynos Gentoo Based Distro (share)

Lets get down to business on ASM, reverse engineering, product activation, and what it's really all about. [ THERE ARE NO WAREZ HERE ]
wesley762
n00b

Navynos Gentoo Based Distro (share)

Post by wesley762 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:20 am

im sharing Navynos 2005.01 with you all.

il upload it on a second mirror soon but for now :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=04CGQQMH

read the readme file and everything should work out.
Rar archive is password protected
PASSWORD :
hackerthreads
Description

Navyn OS is a gnu/linux distribution based on Gentoo. Gentoo isn't a typical distribution like Debian or Slackware, it doesn't even have an installer, it is similar to making your own distribution. The main part of Gentoo is portage, a set of scripts for installing and removing programs. You can install programs easily by typing the command emerge program_name or use user friendly program with GUI porthole. In portage there are thousands of programs. There are also dependencies between programs so the command emerge will install programs AND all needed dependencies. The command emerge downloads the program from the network, unpacks, compiles and installs it. Installing programs is very easy using emerge. The actual installation of gentoo is very difficult, the instruction manual is very long http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml and it is too hard for inexperienced users. Navyn OS is the completed system build from Gentoo. It is also a live-cd so you can boot and run it from the cdrom drive. Since version 2004.07 there is a user friendly installer on the cdrom, and with only a few mouse clicks you can install the system onto your hard drive. The distribution is compiled for 686 cpu (pentium2) so it is more powerfull than most common distributions which are compiled for 386/486. The heart of Navyn OS is kernel 2.6.8.1 and I tried to put the newest versions of software on the cdrom. There is for example xorg 6.7.0, mplayer 1.0, and gimp2.0. Fluxbox is the default window manager, because it is very fast and comfortable, the memory requirements are minimal in contrast to such slow and bloated window managers like KDE or GNOME. The system was also designed to be easy for iso customizing, so you can add programs to the cdrom image using special scripts. While the system is booting it configures all your hardware ( especially network cards and sound cards ), and all the programs have small hardware requirements. On the cd there are complete library headers so it is great for compiling programs. I tried to include many programs connected with security and network. There are for example sniffers like dsniff, tcpdumpm and also port scanners: nmap, nessus. This distribution is made by me: Mateusz Dworak aka compbatant. http://navynos.linux.pl/

Enjoy this pretty rare Distro and share your toughts :D.
Greetings,
Wesley 762

forhack
n00b

Re: Navynos Gentoo Based Distro (share)

Post by forhack » Tue May 19, 2009 3:43 pm

hey 10x 4 sharing this...will try it soon!!!
gd luck in further projects..

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 pm

wesley762 wrote:im sharing Navynos 2005.01 with you all.
Would I be correct to assume it's based on the 2005 release of Gentoo?

foldingstock
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by foldingstock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Cool_Fire wrote:
wesley762 wrote:im sharing Navynos 2005.01 with you all.
Would I be correct to assume it's based on the 2005 release of Gentoo?
Yes. Similar to VLOS, which was released around the same time. VLOS was/is basically Gentoo + Anaconda (red hat installer):

http://vidalinux.org/index.php/Home

Not sure if it is still actively maintained.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am

Maybe I'll try it out on my little Acer One. Got Arch on it now though. Has anyone put navynos on the acer?

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 am

I just about got an Acer One the other day, but decided to get an eeePc instead :P
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

foldingstock
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by foldingstock » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 am

I highly doubt NavynOS will support most netbook hardware, since it is based on an outdated version of gentoo...

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08 pm

foldingstock wrote:I highly doubt NavynOS will support most netbook hardware, since it is based on an outdated version of gentoo...

I have seen some distro's that support it almost 100%, but even those still need atleast some tinkering. For me my netbook has always been an ongoing project. I've tried many distros on it and always had to spend some time to get all the features of the netbook working, ie. LED"S blinking, wireless card up and ready for injection, usb ports working...Thing about Gentoo though, you may install it as an outdated version, but just a few emerge commands and you will be updated with what you want.

RatBastard
n00b

Post by RatBastard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 pm

File size and MD5 don't check out.

The latest version is: 2005.01
File size: 384MB
MD5: dfbc976a7e6470c516d789fbdc99eaa3

the .iso advertised here is 542 MB and MD5 is 957454a210bcce865b21049d8f08b782.