Will Airsnort detect a wireless network that a laptop wont?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
skater_tb
Apprentice

Will Airsnort detect a wireless network that a laptop wont?

Post by skater_tb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Our school has a wireless network for the teachers. I can see the wireless-N router. I brought my laptop (running XP) within probably 25 feet of it but it will not detect the network. The computer tech has done something so that you cant. Would Airsnort detect the wireless signals even the my laptop wont? Is there any othere programs that would work on xp and could detect the signals?
Thanks in Advance.

Aniack
is a maniac!

Post by Aniack » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:06 pm

You're talking about finding WAPs that are not broadcasting their SSIDs. One thing to think about is the fact that no wireless system is safe because they are all transmitting radio waves that can be picked up by anyone in range, regardless of whether or not the WAP is explicitly broadcasting a SSID. One program to think about would be AirJack. Another would be AirMagnet. So on and so on.
I got your number. I steal your thunder.
I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

skater_tb
Apprentice

Post by skater_tb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks Aniack

skater_tb
Apprentice

Post by skater_tb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 pm

I downloaded Net Stumbler and parked near to where the wireless router was. Net Stumbler did not detect anything. Is it the program that isnt working good or is the computer tech a lot smarter than i thought?
Thanks

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:47 pm

If I remember right, Net Stumbler just picks up those networks that are broadcasting their ssid to the outside world. What Aniack was talking about was a network that wasn't broadcasting; you have to know about it to see it. Try the programs he mentioned, they should help.

AirJack: http://sourceforge.net/projects/airjack/
AirMagnet: http://www.airmagnet.com/
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

skater_tb
Apprentice

Post by skater_tb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reply drusepth
They seem to both be linux or unix
Is there any of these types of programs that are directly for windows xp?

thanks

Mojodaddy
n00b

Post by Mojodaddy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 pm

You can use the windows version of aircrack if you have a airPcap wireless card. They're only 200 dollars. That's the only wireless chipset that can currently capture packets in windows.

jopiter
n00b

Post by jopiter » Thu May 31, 2007 5:58 am

Would Airsnort detect the wireless signals even the my laptop wont?

If your hardware doesn't detect the wireless signals, how would you expect any software running on your laptop to detect the signal ?
Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is a mystery.....

Az
n00b

Post by Az » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:12 am

It's a long shot but it's possible they've got a faraday cage if it's supposed to be specifically for the teachers. Otherwise try making yourself a better antenna (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html), cuz we can't all afford to buy all this fancy equipment :D.
Az -- W00t first post![/url]

Aniack
is a maniac!

Post by Aniack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Az wrote:It's a long shot but it's possible they've got a faraday cage if it's supposed to be specifically for the teachers. Otherwise try making yourself a better antenna (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html), cuz we can't all afford to buy all this fancy equipment :D.
Az -- W00t first post![/url]
Long shot is an understatement. This is blowing your load out of your window in England trying to give Kim Jong-il a facial.

If you'll note the second post...it's there. It's the number one most likely answer unless the wireless access point is unplugged. I don't know if the last few posters don't know what SSID hiding is but maybe you could google "SSID hiding" before you even start to think about formulating a response.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that he explicitly said that he can SEE the router.
I got your number. I steal your thunder.
I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

xof7
n00b

Post by xof7 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:21 pm

Download the aircrack suite from here:
http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-0.9-win.zip

You need to run airodump-ng and it will show you the access point.

Az
n00b

Post by Az » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Aniack:
I did say longshot :P
Anyway i thought he said he couldn't see the router
I brought my laptop (running XP) within probably 25 feet of it but it will not detect the network.

I'm sorry if i missed something.
I guess thats what you mean about the SSID hiding. (I just read an article on it, should have done that before i suppose. *Notes that for the future*)
Az

Kool-Aide
n00b

Post by Kool-Aide » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 am

You could pay for it... or you could download AirMagnet full version off a share program like Shareaza or maybe a torrent site. AirMagnet is for windows though. I am not sure if they have a version for linux or not but I know for a fact that is works on Windows XP.
If you shower with your clothes on it shows you're crazy...
If you shower with your clothes off it shows your nuts...

SecureITGroup
Hacker in Training

Post by SecureITGroup » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:33 pm

I think that you can use kismet on backtrack show the networks that are not broadcasting there ssids I know that when i fire mine up i can see the mac address and I can also see the other wireless clients connected with that AP and there mac address
--There is no stupid questions there is just simple answers full of common sense--

netphreak
Owns you

Post by netphreak » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Um... Could you define how you can "see" the network? Your laptop can see it? Or are you able to see the network from some other workstation? If so, it might be that the router is configured for wireless N only, and not B or G, which is what most older laptops have.
Look at the stars, but shoot for the ceiling; it's closer...
When looking for a needle in a haystack, don't start in the middle of a wheat field.

telcontar
31337 Martial Artist

Post by telcontar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:22 am

I can see the wireless-N router. I brought my laptop (running XP) within probably 25 feet of it but it will not detect the network.

I think he means physically seeing it since he says the distance... Or is it too early for me?
If I remember right, Net Stumbler just picks up those networks that are broadcasting their ssid to the outside world. What Aniack was talking about was a network that wasn't broadcasting
Unless a WAP is inactive it is always using a SSID, it has to. Read up on the 802.11 management messages

A brief and concise read

http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/ ... hiding.pdf
Last edited by telcontar on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fate favours the well prepared ...

Code: Select all

(A + 3, N - 1, X)

SecureITGroup
Hacker in Training

Post by SecureITGroup » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:10 am

I am going to have to disagree i'm pretty positive you can turn off the ssid, and i am not sure about physically seeing the ap ill wait until another response
--There is no stupid questions there is just simple answers full of common sense--

telcontar
31337 Martial Artist

Post by telcontar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:34 am

SecureITGroup wrote:I am going to have to disagree i'm pretty positive you can turn off the ssid
I think you're wrong.

Did you read my source? You're talking about the option in your router config that says 'Don't broadcast my SSID' yes?. 'Turning off' means you're only disabling one of the five broadcast mechanisms (the Beacon) as said in the paper the others are; probe requests and response and association and re-association requests. SSIDs are all present in these.

This is how wireless 'cracking' tools find WAPs that have SSID 'disabled'.
Fate favours the well prepared ...

Code: Select all

(A + 3, N - 1, X)

Smokelegend
n00b

Re: Will Airsnort detect a wireless network that a laptop wo

Post by Smokelegend » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 am

skater_tb wrote:Our school has a wireless network for the teachers. I can see the wireless-N router. I brought my laptop (running XP) within probably 25 feet of it but it will not detect the network. The computer tech has done something so that you cant. Would Airsnort detect the wireless signals even the my laptop wont? Is there any othere programs that would work on xp and could detect the signals?
Thanks in Advance.

Question.......the wireless card on ur laptop....is it wireless-N or G......u'll need to get a N card for N routers...(Wi-Max Capable)

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:49 am

jopiter wrote:
Would Airsnort detect the wireless signals even the my laptop wont?

If your hardware doesn't detect the wireless signals, how would you expect any software running on your laptop to detect the signal ?
Yup, first make sure you have a card that's even compatable with the aircrack suit your going to use. Not all cards have detection capability. Netgear seems to work with most utilities. Linksys cards aren't very good for this id say.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us