Intranets - Impossible to crack?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
5carby
n00b

Intranets - Impossible to crack?

Post by 5carby » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am

Hi, I've done a bit of searching on google on how to crack Intranets, but not come up with anything useful to me.

Just wondering if you guys have any information on it?

Is it possible from outside the intranet?
I see red people

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:36 pm

What do you mean? What do you mean a network behind a router?

I feel as if you, yourself do not know what an intranet is - please elaborate.

5carby
n00b

Post by 5carby » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:26 pm

I get that an Intranet is a private network of computers that use Ip's, Browsers and Servers.

Just wondering if it's possible to hack them from the outside. I'm not looking for a tutorial, just like a brief description about it.
I see red people

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:28 pm

5carby wrote:I get that an Intranet is a private network of computers that use Ip's, Browsers and Servers.

Just wondering if it's possible to hack them from the outside. I'm not looking for a tutorial, just like a brief description about it.
Computers that use IPs, browsers and servers?

Sorry man, but you're not really up to the task if you don't know what you're talking about. Please read up on networking - a place to start would be in the networking tutorial section on our forum.

5carby
n00b

Post by 5carby » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Hey, that's what came up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intranet

The only thing I knew about them was that they're just a bunch of computers connected together outside of the internet.
I see red people

5carby
n00b

Post by 5carby » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:46 pm

IceDane wrote:
5carby wrote:I get that an Intranet is a private network of computers that use Ip's, Browsers and Servers.

Sorry man, but you're not really up to the task if you don't know what you're talking about. Please read up on networking - a place to start would be in the networking tutorial section on our forum.
Anyway, I never really stated I knew a lot about them, I created this thread for a specific answer if an Intranet could be cracked, that's all.

Get off my back. :x
I see red people

Comrade
n00b

Post by Comrade » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 am

5carby wrote:
IceDane wrote:

Anyway, I never really stated I knew a lot about them, I created this thread for a specific answer if an Intranet could be cracked, that's all.

Don't get angry at members (especially respected ones), when you're the one asking for help and don't know exactly what you mean in the first place. If you expect an answer, try to give as much information as possible.

Secondly, yes you can crack an Intranet, all you have to do is gain access to a machine on it or be the machine on it yourself.

Example 1:

You want to hack the Intranet of the company, so you find an external IP address of a box that is on that network. You find a vulnerability on the box, exploit it, and now since you have access to that computer, you are on the Intranet.

Example 2:

You find a proxy server running on the company that is misconfigured and allows you to forward your connection through it to the Intranet. Now you have access to the Intranet.

Example 3:

You want to crack the Intranet for a company in your area, you take your laptop and get on the network either via wireless or actually go inside the building and plug into an ethernet port. Once you are on that network, you are considered in the Intranet.

So now you have 3 examples of how to gain access to the Intranet (which is really just another word for network).

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 am

Comrade wrote:
5carby wrote:
IceDane wrote:

Don't get angry at members (especially respected ones),
Or mods, rather. ;)

But yeah - Comrade is right. You would do wise not to step on people's toes when you're the one asking the questions.

Either way, an intranet is basically a network of computers that's not necessarily connected to the internet. If it's connected to the internet, you can gain access by gaining access, one way or another, to the router and changing its settings so it allows direct access to the computers on the network. Or, like he said, gain physical access to one of the computers on the intranet/network.

Comrade
n00b

Post by Comrade » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:27 pm

IceDane wrote:Or mods, rather. ;)
That too. ;)

5carby
n00b

Post by 5carby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm sorry, I had a bit of a long day and thought you were having ago at me, I accept that I didn't explain myself thoroughly, and deserved it.

You've given me all the information I required, and I thank you both for it. :)

Thanks.
I see red people

Comrade
n00b

Post by Comrade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 am

5carby wrote:I'm sorry, I had a bit of a long day and thought you were having ago at me, I accept that I didn't explain myself thoroughly, and deserved it.

You've given me all the information I required, and I thank you both for it. :)

Thanks.
We all have bad days, no worry mate, glad we could help.

tekio
n00b

Re: Intranets - Impossible to crack?

Post by tekio » Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 am

Another topic of interest would be VPN security.