PsP wireless hack question

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
Magic531
n00b

PsP wireless hack question

Post by Magic531 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:17 am

Greetings all, just picked up a referb PsP (slim) and had a question or two.

So I don't have 'net at the house, so obviously I would like to use the PsP to solve that problem. I have several neighbors in my apartment that have wireless, but not of them are open at the moment, and have at least WEP or WPA #### security on them.

Now, if I had a computer w/ a wireless connection, I could connect to the network and try to log into the router via the normal router IP addys, and then see if any of them haven't changed the default router passwords. Then I could open up the net access, and use it with the PsP. Of course, the whole point is I don't have (and will not have access too for some period of time) wifi on my rig.

My question is this, is there any way to connect my PsP to my PC (obv I know there is a way to do that) and then use the PsP as a wireless connection through my PC? At least enough that I could open a browser through it to see if I could get to a router?

This could very well be a pipe dream, I'm really not a hackery kind of person, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

-whowatchesthewatchmen

IceDane
Because I Can

Re: PsP wireless hack question

Post by IceDane » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Magic531 wrote:Greetings all, just picked up a referb PsP (slim) and had a question or two.

So I don't have 'net at the house, so obviously I would like to use the PsP to solve that problem. I have several neighbors in my apartment that have wireless, but not of them are open at the moment, and have at least WEP or WPA #### security on them.

Now, if I had a computer w/ a wireless connection, I could connect to the network and try to log into the router via the normal router IP addys, and then see if any of them haven't changed the default router passwords. Then I could open up the net access, and use it with the PsP. Of course, the whole point is I don't have (and will not have access too for some period of time) wifi on my rig.

My question is this, is there any way to connect my PsP to my PC (obv I know there is a way to do that) and then use the PsP as a wireless connection through my PC? At least enough that I could open a browser through it to see if I could get to a router?

This could very well be a pipe dream, I'm really not a hackery kind of person, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

-whowatchesthewatchmen
You don't think you should be worrying about getting past the encryption schemes first? WPA, you're fucked, but WEP is for kids, but that still requires you to have a wireless adapter on your computer.

Prioritize.

Magic531
n00b

Post by Magic531 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 am

Yes, there are a few with WEP, which even with my limited knowledge I am confident I can get around. The others I am out of luck on, and in retrospeak shouldn't even have mentioned.

-whowatchesthewatchmen

sai
n00b

Post by sai » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 am

WEP and WPA both use the RC4 algorithm which is flawed itself