Detecting SSID of Non-Broadcasting Networks

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
hackerj
n00b

Detecting SSID of Non-Broadcasting Networks

Post by hackerj » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Hello all,
There is a wireless network in my nearby area but the SSID broadcasting is disabled. However it is NOT encrypted. I just need to know the SSID and I m done.

I am using Vista Home Premium and my wireless card is Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN. I am aware that there are not much sniffing software available for windows but I have downloaded AirSnort but it just doesnt run. Then I have downloaded AirCrack but it has bunch of EXEs.. I donno which one to run. Among those EXEs, I used AirCrack-ng GUI and it asks for .cap, .ivs files... Now at this point, there is an EXE called 'makeivs-ng.exe' which i 'suppose' will capture the packets and that i need to feed in to the AirCrack-ng GUI so that it will display all statistical relevent information about the "UNNAMED NETWORK" (network with SSID disabled).. Am I right?

My problem is that i donno how to capture packets. (.cap or .ivs). I even installed WireShark but i think I m missing something... I know i have all necessary tools in my laptop but the right procedure is unknown to me... Please can u all help me guys...

hackerj
n00b

Re: Detecting SSID of Non-Broadcasting Networks

Post by hackerj » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:49 am

please.. anyone.. ? :( i just need to know the right commands to execute..

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 pm

i am not sure for windows, but u should mess around with BackTrack live cd. i know u can do a search for network, but i m not sure if it will find the hidden ones...

hackerj
n00b

Post by hackerj » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:30 am

i did mess around with BackTrack but in the VMWare version.. cant detect my wireless adapter.. i think i will have to burn a CD and then run the Live CD... thnks for the reply..and keep ideas comin in

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 pm

i just tried with backtrack 3 live cd and i was able to detect my hidden wifi network...
"airodump-ng rausb0"

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:35 am

Some playing with kimset can eventualy do this.

kka_kenny
Your Senior

Post by kka_kenny » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Google MDK3

Sputnik
n00b

Post by Sputnik » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:22 am

If you want to know the SSID which is hidden, you must use the monitor mode in your wireless adapter and than to sniff the 802.11 frames. To do this things just take Wild Packets AiroPeek, or CommView for WiFi. But the clients which are connected to that AP (with hidden ssid) are sending the ssid in their prob requests, becaue they are in search of that AP. Good Luck!

edsfunsite
Hacker in Training

Post by edsfunsite » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Or if you were using Uber-1337 FreeBSD, you could just use the bssid.