WEP Cracking using USB dongle (windows)

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
Joseison
n00b

WEP Cracking using USB dongle (windows)

Post by Joseison » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:25 am

Has anyone of you tried cracking wep key using a usb dongle in windows environment?

Please share your experiment. I've heard alot on AirPcap however it's so expensive for that dongle. anyone of you tried a generic usb dongle?

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Re: WEP Cracking using USB dongle (windows)

Post by Thor » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Those airpcap dongles are pretty pricey. I haven't found one yet either that can do cracking, but I haven't looked either. If you do find one let me know what you find. I bought a Acer Aspiron minitop last month and would need a dongle to crack.

EDIT: Don't do crack, crack is whack.

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 pm

*giggle*

Dongle.

mongeaultje
n00b

Post by mongeaultje » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:19 am

Use cain and able.
There is a new development in cracking.
With about 8 normal cards you are able to crack wifi.
But I don't know anymore if it is for Windows of Unix systems.

Cain and able doenst work on Unix. Use airsnort instead.

kka_kenny
Your Senior

Post by kka_kenny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Joseison wrote:Has anyone of you tried cracking wep key using a usb dongle in windows environment?

Please share your experiment. I've heard alot on AirPcap however it's so expensive for that dongle. anyone of you tried a generic usb dongle?
Apart from airpcap the only cards that works with injection in windows is atheros card with commview drivers TMK. However my iwl3945 card works without injection when I use omnipeek from wildpackets.

If you don't want to use or scared to use a Linux live cd then you can still crack wep keys in windows using a vmware version of any live cd.

Grab yourself the vmware version of the infamous backtrack or other and get yourself a USB with realtek chipset.