Connecting to my neighbors WEP wireless network

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
wrathoffate
n00b

Connecting to my neighbors WEP wireless network

Post by wrathoffate » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi, I am a bit new to the subject so please forgive my ignorance. The guy downstairs from my apartment has a WEP encrypted wireless network. Times are rough and I'm too broke to pay for my internet service so I was hoping to borrow his for the last two months that I am living here. What software do I need to figure out his password? I hooked his PS3 up to his network and I remember him telling me his password was his phone number but I forgot it. But I know the first 3 didgits are his area code. Anyone mind explaining this to me? If I can't do this then I will have to tether my PC to my android g1 phone but 3G connection sucks lol. I am running vista on my laptop and I believe he is to. I doubt he filters out unwanted mac adresses because he isn't very tech savy at all. Thanks for any help you can give.

19bab79
Hacker in Training

Re: Connecting to my neighbors WEP wireless network

Post by 19bab79 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crack+wep

you can look here ^^ or you could also try asking him if you can use his internet. he gave you the key before. if you explain the situation he might just let you on his network.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:48 pm

There's also a ton of youtube video's on cracking WEP.
But keep in mind you need to capture a decent amount of traffic off the network to be able to crack it.

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 am

for the last WEP i cracked i needed 35.000 IVs, but u could be lucky and find key with just 5000