WEP cracking with Aircrack

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
beckashine
n00b

WEP cracking with Aircrack

Post by beckashine » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 pm

I have a lap top with a compatible wireless ard to use aircrack but i am concerned about the people who I am connecting to. Will they be able to see my computer ince I have connected using thier network. If so, is there a way to make my computer invisible at all time while on a network. Also i am using Windows Vista. Will this be a problem? Thank in advance for you help.

foldingstock
htd0rg lieutenant

Re: WEP cracking with Aircrack

Post by foldingstock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:13 pm

If you connect to their network, they can see your computer. There is no way to be "invisible," if you connect to the router then the DHCP request record will be logged, as well as the MAC address of your wireless card. If you make outgoing connections through the router, this can be logged, depending on the router. This information is mostly useless unless they can associate it with you (ie: logging in to your personal GMAIL account or something equally stupid). Make sure you have a decent firewall, turn off all your network shares/etc, and make sure your computer's name isn't something stupid like your name (ie: JSMITHXP).

Most home networks are setup with packaged defaults and ran by morons. I've known some people to install wireless routers when they didn't even have any wireless devices in the house. Don't assume all home networks have lax security though. :wink:

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 pm

You can do things like VPN or SSH tunneling to prevent the people that own the access point, preventing them from checking what sites you visit and what emails you send etc.

Other then that, if you're truely paranoid, you can concider spoofing your MAC address, but this is a whole other cattle of fish. (And it doesn't help you're running Vista in this case.)

beckashine
n00b

Post by beckashine » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 pm

i did happen to locate two networks that are unsecured. one that is is labeled "unidentified network (Free WiFi Network)" when i am using my laptop in the room closest to the college(I can throw a stone at the college I attend across the street), but when i connect to it, it says there is 100% signal but i cannot access the internet. what could be blocking it? vista is super secured and i doubt that i could pirate anything using this system so i gave up after doing more research. i really just want to acess the unsecured network at home to be able to submit my homework and check my class info. being a college student, i can barely pay the rent let alone buy wireless internet! :lol:

beckashine
n00b

Post by beckashine » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:03 pm

if it matters i use an Atheros wireless netword card...

whiteroom
n00b

Post by whiteroom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:19 pm

beckashine wrote:i did happen to locate two networks that are unsecured. one that is is labeled "unidentified network (Free WiFi Network)" when i am using my laptop in the room closest to the college(I can throw a stone at the college I attend across the street), but when i connect to it, it says there is 100% signal but i cannot access the internet. what could be blocking it? vista is super secured and i doubt that i could pirate anything using this system so i gave up after doing more research. i really just want to acess the unsecured network at home to be able to submit my homework and check my class info. being a college student, i can barely pay the rent let alone buy wireless internet! :lol:
my guess is a MAC filter. If you dont connect with a MAC address that is on a list that the router has, you get nothing.