WMP54GX: Garbage?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
Magusuri
n00b

WMP54GX: Garbage?

Post by Magusuri » Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 am

Code: Select all

<noob>
Holy crap I'm new to the site.
</noob>
Anyhow. I recently aquired a WMP54GX (Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter with SRX [fancy Cisco Pre-N MIMO]) at no cost to myself :mrgreen: from a surplus sale, (I convinced the host it was worthless, which it's seeming to be anyhow).

I've rolled through various packet sniffers and have yet to find one that is compatible with the Broadcom chipset the card is built with. I could list those sniffers, but I'm sure the names are well known enough to not matter. In any case the sniffers all work once I'm on the network, but that's of little to no use to me.

Does anyone else have any experience with this adapter? And if so is it pure junk for capping packets?

narada
Hacker in Training

Re: WMP54GX: Garbage?

Post by narada » Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 am

Windows or *nix? Tried Wireshark? Is the adapter working properly otherwise?

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 am

I'm not completely sure on this subject, but: I'm pretty sure you can capture packets with any interface. In most cases, it doesn't have anything to do with the chipset itself, as you will be doing ARP spoofing and stuff will be flowing through you before the gateway/router.

If you are talking about cracking WEP and the like, the chipset might be bad, however. It might not support promiscuous mode, for example..

What are you trying to do exactly? If you are on Linux or Unix trying to sniff network traffic, use ettercap for both ARP poisoning and sniffing, or only for ARP spoofing and whatever other sniffer you would like for the sniffing(Tcpdump).

Magusuri
n00b

Post by Magusuri » Fri May 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Nah it really wouldn't be a problem if I was just trying to analyze current network traffic, but if I'm trying to grab random IV packets floating around it seems the adapter must support 'promiscuous' mode in order to poke at random airborne packets. Meh.

To the best of my knowledge I have an adapter incapable of capturing any traffic on networks it's not a part of, which is what I assumed in the beginning.