Aircable

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
Shoarmabroodje
n00b

Aircable

Post by Shoarmabroodje » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am

Hey guys,

I got a little question for you..

Since a day or two whenever I switch blue tooth on on my phone it automatically asks me to connect to some other device called AIRcable. Whenever I get near my house it will keep asking me to connect to it. When I use a different phone and I'm near/in my house it keeps asking me to connect.

I did a bit of research and I found out AIRcable is some bluetooth range boosting device. (http://aircable.net/)
My suspicion is someone in my flat has some kind of device that tries to auto connect to every mobile phone near it. I'm afraid 1 day I'll be to stupid to press no and I'll accidentally press yes. I've done a little bit of blue tooth research about hacking etc and I'm afraid that this person is trying to hack everything in it's range. Does anyone know if I can find out a bit more about the signal itself? Where it's coming from if it's sending some sort of extra information? I'd like to find out who it is so I can confront this person with it. If anyone else knows some kind of kewl trick to disable that bloody thing that would be fine to.

I hope I was a bit clear about the whole thing and well it just keeps bothering me with requests. I know I can just turn blue tooth off or turn it invisible for other devices but I'm kind of curious as well.

Thanks in advance,

Broodjeshoarma

psilocybin
Sargeant at Arms

Re: Aircable

Post by psilocybin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Umm I looked at the site, it looks like aircable is just a way to interface cables wirelessly through bluetooth. Someone in your flat is probably using it so they can play WoW on the toilet. Stop being so paranoid.

$k£tch
n00b

Post by $k£tch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:40 pm

the chances are that they properly are just using it for there own devices but if not you've only got a problem if your using an old phone that has version 1.2 of bluetooth as that can be exploited quite easily with bluesnarf, but due to it asking you to accept, theres little chance of it being of any worry. :)

Shoarmabroodje
n00b

Post by Shoarmabroodje » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Hmm, sounds good. I got a pretty new phone (samsung omnia) so I guess I don't have to worry much.
Though anyone has an answer to the question if I can get a little more information on the signal?