network shield

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
illusioned
n00b

network shield

Post by illusioned » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:50 am

Hi! guys
i have secured my wireless network using WPA-PSK encryption key now i need to secure my wireless more to make sure that it wont be easly penetrated. any suggetions?????? kindly help

foldingstock
htd0rg lieutenant

Re: network shield

Post by foldingstock » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 am

Some basic "layers" of wireless security:

Encryption - You have already done this.

MAC address filtering - This is trivial to setup but also easily bypassed. Only really useful to keep out casual sniffers.

Do not broadcast SSID - Another "trivial" step, but in a neighborhood setting someone is more likely to target a broadcasted "linksys" network than a hidden network.

Subnetting - limit your DHCP server to only give out a few IP addresses. On my home network, I never have more than 3 wireless devices connected so I limit the DHCP server to only give out 3 IP addresses. This is useful because if I have two wireless devices on my network and I can't connect with my laptop, I know something other than me is using the third IP address.

Proxy - If you're really paranoid, setup a proxy that requires authentication before allowing net access. This is similar to what a lot of Hotels do. Yes it can be bypassed, but not easily.

stasik
Guru

Re: network shield

Post by stasik » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 pm

+ allow connecting to router ONLY via cable and only via https (username + password)

all of the mentioned can be bypass (search hidden networks, change ur mac, etc). but all these add up at the end. ur best bet is the WPA2 + AES. use a password of 63 random characters (digits, alpha, ALPHA, symbols).