Copyright Infringement Notice

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
infinite_
Bat Country

Copyright Infringement Notice

Post by infinite_ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Sup.

Just thought I'd share a copyright infringement notice I got today. It appears to be have been sent to my ISP who has then forwarded it (unedited) to myself. It's quite interesting because my ISP targets their services to heavy downloaders, and I'm yet to hear anything directly from my ISP regarding this email.
Friday, November 13, 2009

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Television Series Entitled
Dexter

Dear Abuse Department:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Showtime Networks Inc. ("SNI").

We have received information that an individual has utilized the below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrighted television programs through a "peer-to-peer" service, including such title(s) as:

Dexter

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television programs constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Remove or disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and

2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

We also would request that you inform the individual who engaged in this conduct that legitimate copies of SNI content are widely available for viewing online, for example on www.sho.com <http://www.sho.com/> , as well as iTunes, Amazon.com and Movielink.com.

On behalf of SNI, owner of the exclusive rights in the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by SNI, its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please direct any end user queries to the following:

CopyrightQs@mediasentry.com

Please include the Case ID 989970897, also noted above, in the subject line of all future correspondence regarding this matter.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

A Kempe
Enforcement Coordinator
MediaSentry

------------------------------

INFRINGEMENT DETAIL
--------------------

Infringing Work: Dexter
First Found: 12 Nov 2009 05:58:21 EST (GMT -0500)
Last Found: 12 Nov 2009 05:58:21 EST (GMT -0500)
IP Port: 39999
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: 3B1359976C73B8588956AB31E36657639D81A97C
Containing file(s):
Dexter.S04E01.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi.torrent (576,721,958 bytes)

Infringing Work: Dexter
First Found: 12 Nov 2009 06:37:52 EST (GMT -0500)
Last Found: 12 Nov 2009 06:37:52 EST (GMT -0500)
IP Port: 39999
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: ADB117B09139BE68B716D324F20202819C8169C5
Containing file(s):
Dexter.S04E04.HDTV.XviD-SYS.avi.torrent (578,396,160 bytes)
Tbh, I haven't heard of anyone in Australia being disconnected by their ISP due to downloading, and I'm certainly not going to promptly respond to the nobs.
My effort to help you will never exceed your effort to explain the problem.

Dark Nova
Hacker in Training

Re: Copyright Infringement Notice

Post by Dark Nova » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 pm

Just out of curiosity, how does Aussie law stand on this issue? As they seem more interested in US law which quite plainly won't apply to you as you aint there.

NOVA

psilocybin
Sargeant at Arms

Post by psilocybin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Personally, I always stream Dexter.

infinite_
Bat Country

Post by infinite_ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Dark Nova wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does Aussie law stand on this issue? As they seem more interested in US law which quite plainly won't apply to you as you aint there.
I'm not 100% on Australia's stance, but AFAIK the MPAA/RIAA has no place to sue an Australian citizen. That said, there is a FTA between Aus. and US and that may carry provisions of some kind. I haven't heard of any individuals being prosecuted here, but that doesn't indicate much: could also just be that we don't care when it happens and thus the media doesn't report it.
psilocybin wrote:Personally, I always stream Dexter.
That would be nice, but do you stream from a site that allows streaming outside the US? Link me up if you do.
My effort to help you will never exceed your effort to explain the problem.

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:08 pm

i think its time to put a password on rar or encrypt the info over the net. that way no one will know what u downloaded. for streaming, tunnelling would be good, but too slow. provider is monitoring ur downloads. wtf???

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Yeah in my torrent manager (ktorrent) it has an option to encrypt my torrent traffic, that way even if it is alot of downloading, you can't tell what it is. A lot of people don't do this and though. Depending on how you customise it, it still may connect to people who don't allow encryption which I believe in that case will send packets unencrypted. One other thing I do is switch the ports that I forward frequently just so for shits and giggles.

clueless
Hacker in Training

Post by clueless » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:58 pm

I agree that any torrent client should enable encrypted channels by default but it will not make your torrents safer by a lot. Anyone can download the torrent and ask the tracker for the IP address of peers, I also think this is what happened here. His ISP is just the middle man in this message. Its really hard to protect from this too. Today's torrent technology does not protect from this at all.

There is something called 'anonymous p2p' which works a bit like tor: it routes data over several clients so you never really know who offers it and who asked it. This requires a lot more bandwidth than regular p2p though and I don't know of any p2p network that is using it right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_p2p

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Torrent traffic is kinda freaky. You really gotta be careful. I was doing alot of downloading for the past month up until a few minutes ago, I closed my ports and am taking a break from it now. I have had trouble connecting to most of my tracker list lately and it has been showing as port scans in my ids logs. It took me a minute to determine this and I was genuinely worried. It's really freaky looking to see mostly scans to and fro in your logs and not the usual "sql version overflow attempt" crap. There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution yet for torrent downloading. You can use web proxies, but they will likely die well before a torrent is anywhere near done and you'll want to keep updating it. Tor can work, but speeds willl be limited even more. For now I may use the neighbors wifi :lol:

that chronic cunt

Post by 123 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Still not a good thing to get in the mail. I should remedy this by sending you chocolate and fine tobacco. ;)