kegger

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
voiceless911
n00b

kegger

Post by voiceless911 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 pm

It's a bit of an ongoing joke, but one of my friends is due to have a gang of our friends show up at his apartment some weekend (soon) with kegs and a party, on a weeknight, without him knowing beforehand... I want to start a mass "Reply All" type email between us where we work out details for the party that night... but obviously this guy (Jonny) needs to stay out of the loop, while everyone else needs to think he's aware that they're showing up at his place with a party.

The key is: Jonny can't know people are coming over, and the people coming over have to think he does know and it's for real.

I used to mess around with "hacking" when I was a young lad, so I remember it's possible to pretend you're someone else's email address. I think that may be illegal, but what about this:
Is it possible to, in the email address list of this mass email, actually put the real address of Jonny, but for it to somehow not ever reach him?

Aiden
Administrator

Re: kegger

Post by Aiden » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I do have one suggestion that might work. It's simple, too. :) Just "fake" his email. For example, if his email is ChristopherPoole01@gmail.com, send an email to ChristopherPoolO1@gmail.com. At first glance, it looks like his email, but it's actually a capital o instead of a 0 :P Dunno if that would fit your needs, I'm sure others might have other ideas.
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 pm

use "Zmei Mail Sender", it allows u to edit the "from" information, so u can pretend to be any one. the only thing is that the sent email sometimes goes to spam (gmail)

http://www.rootshell.be/~stasik/soft/zmei.zip

michels10
n00b

Post by michels10 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Just out of curiosity... Can you use smtp spoofing?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Most outgoing mail servers don't check to verify senders. That means you can just tell it to send it from any address from any existing domain. However, this would all fall down if someone uses the reply-all.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.