IP tracking/Finding

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
heknowsu123
n00b

IP tracking/Finding

Post by heknowsu123 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Okay so this guy claims he can track your IP. I didn't believe him at first but after a while he actually started finding peoples IP adresses. Now my question is how can he do it? Is it a software or website? I would need some type of proof to get him banned from a certain website.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: IP tracking/Finding

Post by Cool_Fire » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Finding an IP address is really not a hard thing to do. In literally every connection you make on the internet, regardless if it's a website, game server, mail server, some chat program or whatever you will give out your IP to whatever you're connecting to. It's just a necessity to get communication going.
Most of these services will log your IP address. This is an easy enough way to passively get your IP address.
Then in most cases your IP address is sent along in the email headers with every email you send, so if you've ever emailed the guy he already has your IP too. If he owns or has access to the logs of some site you've visited that'll also already be enough.

The real point though is that an IP address itself isn't anything special. You can fairly well equate it to having someones phone number. Just because this person has your IP doesn't mean it's of any use to him.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.