signal strength.

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
2uperm@n
n00b

signal strength.

Post by 2uperm@n » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:04 pm

im useing a linksys routher and a Wireless-G USB Network Adapter.they are both 5 rooms form each other, i got a low signal strength. is there any way to make it better?

is there somthing i can buy to put in the middel of the house to make the signal starger or maybe some kind of hack, i may even try tin foil. :shock:

thxs for any help

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:36 pm

Question 1: Is the Linksys router a Wireless G router?

Question 2: What kind of walls are they? And give me an estimate of how far you are from the AP with the notebook.

You could always try an external antenna with a little more gain and connect it to the linksys router. You could also try some sort of repeater or wireless bridge to add some distance on to the RF signal. Is there any kind of 2.4GHz cordless phone in the rooms in between? If it is some sort of interferance you could grab your laptop and watch the signal strength as you walk away from it to see if there is a certain area where the signal really starts to drop.

-Ghost Hawk
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

Ramius
The Evil Clown

Post by Ramius » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:27 pm

Also, if you will net stumble your network, it is possible that you can find a significantly better placement for the wireless antennas. For example, in a school the walls are poured concrete with rebar stakes on 12 inch centers. This is basically an RF screen room.
If the router/ap is in one of these room the signal can be attenuated so severely that it might be impossible to connect, even if you are in the effective radiation sweet spot per the anticipated output.

However if you move the antenna to the recirc or plenum area of the ceiling, you might have a line of sight to the other antennae.

I have this antenna and it is excellent:

http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer/pr ... 06f5b75dc2

Also try splitting the distance between the two computers by putting the router in room three and putting a wirelss NIC in each of the connecting PCs.

Just a thought,

RK
RIF - Reading is Fundamental
Hacking is a process, not a product
Http://www.rainbowtables.net

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:30 pm

Heres my preferred solution to things like this.

http://www.trangobroadband.com/products/M900S.htm

:twisted:

-Ghost Hawk
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

2uperm@n
n00b

Post by 2uperm@n » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:25 am

Ghosthawk wrote:Question 1: Is the Linksys router a Wireless G router?

Question 2: What kind of walls are they? And give me an estimate of how far you are from the AP with the notebook.

You could always try an external antenna with a little more gain and connect it to the linksys router. You could also try some sort of repeater or wireless bridge to add some distance on to the RF signal. Is there any kind of 2.4GHz cordless phone in the rooms in between? If it is some sort of interferance you could grab your laptop and watch the signal strength as you walk away from it to see if there is a certain area where the signal really starts to drop.

-Ghost Hawk
g

walls......... somthing cheap i dunno

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:32 am

Well that does nothing for me. You need to help yourself and answer the questions correctly before I can help you.

Ramius
The Evil Clown

Post by Ramius » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:37 am

And they ask why noobs get flamed?????
RIF - Reading is Fundamental
Hacking is a process, not a product
Http://www.rainbowtables.net