Project Ideas

Talk about any languages right here. Share and discuss source, but don't expect your homework to be done for you.
mcat1
n00b

Project Ideas

Post by mcat1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 am

Hi all, I'm relatively new to C and was wondering what would a good project for a beginner such as myself. The source of my education so far in C has been NoUse's pdf tutorials made by LovePump. Thanks for any suggestions! :smile:

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Project Ideas

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

The only C project I'm currently working on myself is a hex editor.
http://git.insomnia247.nl/nexedit/nexedit/trees/master

You could try writing something like a client/server pair that exchange some information (for whatever purpose).
Or maybe something to read and parse some information out of a collection of HTML files?
You could count the number of lines of HTML/CSS/Javascript or something.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

mcat1
n00b

Post by mcat1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Those are great ideas; I especially want to try the client/ srver idea. And a web document info parser would be useful. I will probably try that one first as a difficulty stepping-stone to lead up to the server/client program. I'll post my source here when its complete or I have an issue. Thanks!

Dr. Suess
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Dr. Suess » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 am

When I began programming, I was pretty enthralled by the Mandelbrot Set. It's such a simple concept mathematically and algorithmically, yet it forms such a grand result.

It also allows you to form something simple and then expand it over time.. For example, adding infinite zooming by using arbitrary-precision decimals, or adding more advanced coloring algorithms, or even making it 3D.

As for outputting the image, if you're fine with just an image you can use the ppm format. If you want an interactive viewer, you'll need to invest in some type of library such as SDL, which is a learning experience itself.
Pages ripped out. Don't remember doing that. It appears this is my first entry in two years.