Introduction To UNIX

This is where members can submit tutorials that they have created on any computing related subject.
GrahamPhisher
n00b

Introduction To UNIX

Post by GrahamPhisher » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:25 pm

UNIX Introduction By Graham Phisher

1960, Bell Labs, 3 Bell Lab Employees Invented UNIX, these people are Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, And Douglas Mcllroy. Wait a second, my bad, you guys probably dont even know what UNIX is yet. Well let me start from the beginning, UNIX is a operating system, like Windows. There are also many types of UNIX, the most popular distros of UNIX though are Sun Solaris, MacOS X, And GNU Linux, I use the GNU Operating System. Anyways now I should probably get down to what makes up UNIX, and I'm gonna tell you its not puppy's and cupcakes, nor love. Its the Shell and Kernel, I'm gonna talk about the kernel first though, the kernel of the UNIX OS (operating system) is the main hub of the OS, it controls practically everything that goes on in the operating system. Than you have the Shell which is the interface between the user and the OS, the shell is also the CLI (Command Line Interpreter) it interprets the commands entered in by the user and arranges the commands to be carried out. The next thing I should tell you about UNIX is that everything is a file or process (no ****) and incase your a idiot and dont know what a process is, is a executing program identified by a "PID" (Process Identifier) and just in case if your retarded a file is a collection of data created by the user. Now time to teach y'all about the Directory Structure, the file system is arranged in hierarchal structure heres a example of the structure.

Alright well now that you and UNIX are friends and properly introduced, lets get you hooked up. Go to the following sites to download one of UNIX's Distros.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/
http://www.gnu.org/
No Matter How Foolproof you make your system there is always one more fool more inventive than you.

Aniack
is a maniac!

Re: Introduction To UNIX

Post by Aniack » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:52 pm

GrahamPhisher wrote:Anyways now I should probably get down to what makes up UNIX, and I'm gonna tell you its not puppy's and cupcakes, nor love.
Not a bad write up...but are you sure there aren't any puppies in Unix? Not even in the service layer?

http://www.distrowatch.com
I got your number. I steal your thunder.
I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

GrahamPhisher
n00b

hmmmm

Post by GrahamPhisher » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 am

I dont know about the cupcakes or puppies but I might take back the part about love, you never know if the creators of the os put a a lil love inside each os.
No Matter How Foolproof you make your system there is always one more fool more inventive than you.