How to send a virus via email.....

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
Damoedge
n00b

How to send a virus via email.....

Post by Damoedge » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:20 am

hi Guys,

This is a simple question all i want to know is there any way to send a virus via email?

i dont want to send a bad virus just a little echo loop but its in .exe or .bat form and i know most mail providers either scan of block these extensions,

is there any programs or websites or your own experties that can help me?

thanks

Aiden
Administrator

Re: How to send a virus via email.....

Post by Aiden » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Mail providers allow .zip files last time I checked...
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

Damoedge
n00b

Post by Damoedge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Im afraid not especially gmail,

another help out there???

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:36 pm

does the recipient know it is an .exe? if so change .exe to .txt. if not u can make like others: send a link to a kool video, before starting the video it will ask to install some codec, but it will install the .exe. or as i remember u could bind exe with jpg. but in most cases what u r trying to accomplish doesnt work. depend on the victim..

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:10 pm

There are sites that allow you to upload files (sometimes free, sometimes not). For example, if you had a rapidshare account, you could put one there. If not, there are other popular ones - I never use them so I don't remember the names. Search around; you might find one.

Or, you know, pay for/host your own server.
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Book » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:36 am

Some AVs even scan executable files within zip or other archives. If your "virus" is home-made (not public), then you shouldn't worry about detection. But if it's not private, or if there is a chance that the heuristic part of the scan may catch it, use a password on the archive to encypt it, and give the password to your friend to decrypt it. By using a password, there is no way an AV will be able to detect your viral executable, even if it's the most known virus.

Damoedge
n00b

Post by Damoedge » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:12 am

Any other suggestions?

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:18 am

The encryption part might hold true, but it's complete bullshit that AVs can't catch a "home-made" virus. Most AVs employ, among others, a mechanism that scans files for patterns of code. For example, the opcodes for call eax is always 0xff, 0xd0 on an x86 system. In the same way, a lot of other code, including malicious code, is the same no matter the machine. Some may vary due to different addresses and things, but the AVs are insanely smart and can not be easily fooled.

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Book » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:03 pm

I don't know what the instruction eax is used for, so you are talking about heuristic scanning, I guess. Though it's true that heuristic scanning will catch many viruses even if their signature isn't yet developed, and combined with behaviour blocking, could prevent a lot more damage, if I make a batch script with something like:
del c:\windows or similar statements, or even convert it to an executable file, my AV won't report a thing.

Damoedge
n00b

Post by Damoedge » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi guys

could anyone recommend a good file binder???

thanks all

Fire0pal
n00b

Post by Fire0pal » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:24 pm

stasik wrote: ....as i remember u could bind exe with jpg. but in most cases what u r trying to accomplish doesnt work. depend on the victim..
Oh yes, a good binder that will attach .exe to a .jpg would be fantastic. All the fellahs ALWAYS open the mucky photos! ROFL :lol: Schmucks!

Also Book's suggestion of using a password sounds great - will that really work? Is it really that simple to get it past an AV? I'd have thought the recipient would have the nous to unzip and unprotect the file before scanning and also an on-access scan would kick in anyway on running the exe. Anyone???

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm

FireOpal: Before you go ahead and shit on people for things they say, you should consider well, knowing stuff. There was a vulnerability in the way a certain DLL that IE used to handle JPEG images, which resulted in you being able to craft a special image, which, on 'viewing', would execute code and thus allowing you to do whatever you wanted, in theory. This was patched, however, and there are probably only like 3 people on the entire intarweb that are vulnerable to it.

Fire0pal
n00b

Post by Fire0pal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:35 am

Could you explain to me why you think I "shit on people"? It's a fact... men will generally always open a rude/nude pic - it's the male of the species that I'm calling Schmucks, you know, the ones who respond to emails promising to in crease the size of their member! I think you've misunderstood my post.

NoUse
time traveller

Post by NoUse » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Fire0pal wrote:Could you explain to me why you think I "shit on people"? It's a fact... men will generally always open a rude/nude pic - it's the male of the species that I'm calling Schmucks, you know, the ones who respond to emails promising to in crease the size of their member! I think you've misunderstood my post.
Yea I think IceDane just thought you were being sarcastic because almost everyone knows that you cannot bind executable files to .jpeg images.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger
those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
And you will know my name is the Lord
when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Fire0pal
n00b

Post by Fire0pal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:26 pm

That's what I thought. I just was bit confused as to why someone said you could and even more confused as to why IceDane would have a go at me. Weird. He's quite fun at first but unnecessarily offensive sometimes, specially in the Newbie forum.

Now can SOMEONE post a reply for poor Damoedge who just wants the name of a good file binder (and definitely doesn't need us bickering between ourselves)?

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Book » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:06 pm

nBinder would do a very good job. Though its demo limitations are awfully annoying. Just as the price tag

Shadowstriker
Corporal

Post by Shadowstriker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:06 pm

I know the original post was awhile ago, but the original question was sending a .exe via email.
In Damoedge's next post he mentioned gmail, it is possible to send a non-zipped .exe via email using gmail.
if you download GMail drive http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm you can upload a .exe to your gmail and send it from there.

Thought it would be useful if anyone else wanted to know.

sh_ithe_ad
Sargeant at Arms

Post by sh_ithe_ad » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:45 am

I think it was an old book I was reading a while ago but it mentioned something to watch out for when considering to download a suspicious attachment. This probably only happened in the old days but some people used to attach viruses with filenames like this "picture.jpg .bat"
when using outlook express or something it would be easy to overlook that .bat way over the other side of the screen.

Hotmail and gmail nowadays won't even let you send .zip files if they have .exe or .bats inside them. I know this because a couple of months ago I had a spurious urge to download a trojan client called poisonivy after reading about it and I was gonna test it out on some idiots on one of those teen chatrooms but hotmail wouldn't even let me send it because it was a .exe. I think hotmail even detected it as a virus actually but I do remember it wouldn't let me send even a safe exe file. I tried zipping it and rarring it but somehow hotmail was able to look inside the zip and rar archives so I got around this by changing the file extension of the rar file to .rarr and telling the idiot at the other end to take away 1 r which he did then his anti virus warned him not to open the file and at that point I just gave up. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:18 pm

sh_ithe_ad wrote:Hotmail and gmail nowadays won't even let you send .zip files if they have .exe or .bats inside them. I know this because a couple of months ago I had a spurious urge to download a trojan client called poisonivy after reading about it and I was gonna test it out on some idiots on one of those teen chatrooms but hotmail wouldn't even let me send it because it was a .exe. I think hotmail even detected it as a virus actually but I do remember it wouldn't let me send even a safe exe file. I tried zipping it and rarring it but somehow hotmail was able to look inside the zip and rar archives so I got around this by changing the file extension of the rar file to .rarr and telling the idiot at the other end to take away 1 r which he did then his anti virus warned him not to open the file and at that point I just gave up. Wasn't worth the hassle.
Sounds like hotmail/gmail unzip archives to scan what's inside them. It's a smart move.

To get around it, you can most likely just password-protect your rar archive. They won't be able to scan inside it without a password to unzip it with.