Is There Any Way to Cover Up ISP Tracking?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
x0d0xx3h
n00b

Is There Any Way to Cover Up ISP Tracking?

Post by x0d0xx3h » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 am

Is there any way to anonymous the domains I'm entering into the browser and connecting to so the ISP can not track it.

Is there actually anything else the ISP can track besides the domains? Like the search queries in Google? Well, I guess, they technically can since the search query of Google is as well as in the URL of Google after hitting enter.

What else can they track?

I'm at Telecom (T-Online).

psilocybin
Sargeant at Arms

Re: Is There Any Way to Cover Up ISP Tracking?

Post by psilocybin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:03 am

I would imagine they can see anything that they route to/from you, so they can see what IP addresses you are communicating with, DNS lookups, and anything unencrypted. if you want to not be tracked your best bet is to use an anonymization network like tor or i2p.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:10 am

Something like an SSH tunnel or an SSL webproxy will work fine too, just make sure you do your DNS requests trough the tunnel too.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:14 am

You could look into using a VPN as well. This way you can setup some secure protocol being setup to and from the VPN. And the ISP only sees one connection. The VPN will forward your request from a shared pool out to the destination, so your destinations see the VPN provider only. As mentioned, make sure all of your connections get routed through the VPN. I believe openVPN does this automatically if you use that as your client.

I actually used to use a little known pay service for this. It was $2/mo and you can do pretty much whatever you wanted with it. Technically you can do whatever you want with any of them I guess, they might tell you to go away if they get some heat. There was an option to get a static VPN IP address assigned to you to use inside the VPN I used, otherwise you just got a random address and it would function like a proxy. It sorta took some of the anonymity out of it though. There is a couple free apps that do this for you out there. Might wanna spoof your mac depending on what your doing, even hack some local wifi as well.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:05 am

they can see every thing, once my ISP connected directly to router and could see how many PC online and what OS

SkriptAsylum
Apprentice

Post by SkriptAsylum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

@stasik- I'm assuming that you use the router your ISP offered you when signing up for service, correct? I ask because 1) there are sometimes backdoors built into the routers they hand out and/or 2) they usually won't bother with checking out anything on your network if you purchased a replacement from elsewhere.

@x0d0xx3h- If there's something semi-specific you'd like to check out that causes you personal concern, this is where the benefit of using <SomeoneElse's> network becomes handy... just log into nothing personal in the meantime... Encryption does help however, but the amount of data and its last hop would still be visible to the ISP.
"It's only when you've lost everything that you are free to do anything." ~Tyler Durden

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 am

yes, its a router together with modem provided by isp (thomson), and i have my pass on it and that was not a problem for him. they definitely have back doors. of course they dont bother checking ur traffic, unless they have a reason

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Yeah I was going to mention you usually can use a different router then the one provided by your ISP. Might not be an option for you. Depending on where your located, you may not have a lot of wifi near, or too many WPA's that aren't easy to crack, etc. So one thing to look into is building a long-range home-brew antenna. Get one of these: Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW and look unscrew the antenna on that one and build a custom bad-ass one. I think they have them in 2000w and 5000w now, you could go like over a mile with that potentially.

There's sites an examples all over the net for this. Or you can just buy everything for probably under $60-$100 pre-made. You can make a coffee can antenna for next to nothing and just buy that adapter I mentioned, or one like it. That one has the driver or injecting packets (RTL8187), etc.

http://www.google.com/search?q=homebrew+wifi+antenna

That search brings up all the sites I would have mentioned in the top 5, so there you go.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us