How Do People Catch the Connection and How to Avoid?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
x0d0xx3h
n00b

How Do People Catch the Connection and How to Avoid?

Post by x0d0xx3h » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I know that for example certain organizations can catch the connection right in front of the house. I know that they can catch the email address and also instant messenger messages, but what about domains which are being visited, can they catch those too?

My questions are as follows, how exactly are they doing that and how can that be avoided?

As of now I'm using a quite good VPN, and I'm wondering is that secure enough? I've also a secret SSID and I'm not using the key which is on my router imprinted.

stasik
Guru

Re: How Do People Catch the Connection and How to Avoid?

Post by stasik » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:56 am

if u r using a VPN, there is no way to sniff ur traffic, unless they have the secret key VPS is using. other thing they can do is go to VPN ask them to present the traffic, or just listen the unencrypted traffic after VPN and figure out which one is urs. thats why select VPN in another country, as laws are different and its hard to approach VPN.
another thing is to make sure no one is connected to ur network, as they can see traffic before it gets encrypted (arp). disable "manage router" via wifi, use wpa2 aes (not tkip +aes). ping ur router, u should get only 1 hop, if u get more, means u r poisoned.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 am

Also, make sure there's no malicious software on your actual computer. You can pipe your connection trough as safe a tunnel as possible, but it's of no use when they're listening at your end of the tunnel.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

x0d0xx3h
n00b

Post by x0d0xx3h » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 am

Makes all sense, thanks.