Can my neighbor's hack into my wireless network?

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
TiaStady
n00b

Post by TiaStady » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 am

I recently got a router today, and i have a WEP key, is it easy for someone to hack into my network????. Actually, awhile ago, i got a little window and it said that someone was trying to hack my network, and i clicked on "block attack". How will i know if they hacked into my network? and if they do, what will happen to my computer? Well, i'm not really smart in comp. so any help would be apprecitated!!

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Can my neighbor's hack into my wireless network?

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Don't use WEP.
WEP has been broken for years and years, and cracking it is absolutely trivial at this point.
Set it up to use WPA2.

As for knowing if you've been hacked: You can check your router and see which clients are connected. If any of them are not you, odds are you've been hacked.

As far as what can happen when someone has hacked your wifi; they can use your router/internet connection for anything they want. Also it gives them direct access to every machine attached to your network, so anything unprotected or insecure is also instantly at risk.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

SkriptAsylum
Apprentice

Post by SkriptAsylum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Though it's not the most secure on the planet, I always like MAC address filtering for my wireless devices in my home. No on can just 'hop' on unless they have some wits about scanning for connected devices. Most people get frustrated and stop trying to connect...
"It's only when you've lost everything that you are free to do anything." ~Tyler Durden

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 pm

MAC address filtering is laughable. It's not even security. It takes one packet to break it. ONE.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

SkriptAsylum
Apprentice

Post by SkriptAsylum » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 am

Cool_Fire wrote:MAC address filtering is laughable.
So are the chances of someone in my neighborhood knowing what a MAC address even is. You failed to mention WPA2 isn't available on all routers not to mention the devices at hand trying to connect- I was simply offering an additional option that has kept passerby's off my network in Plainsville, USA. Here's a bit more of a supplement:

@TiaStady: Hide your SSID, limit the number of IPs available, change the SSID to something other than the manufacturer, set a strong password, etc. Dependent on how often you use wireless, disable when not in use if it's not too much of a burden. If you want help adjusting settings on your router, including turning on WPA2 if available, name the make and model and we can point you to some documentation if you need.
"It's only when you've lost everything that you are free to do anything." ~Tyler Durden

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:52 am

SkriptAsylum, u r wrong here. in the process of cracking wep/wpa, one of the steps is to find mac address of the laptop connected to target router, change the mac on ur laptop, and try to connect to router. this will create more traffic as the router will be confused. in other wards, it takes 2 seconds to display all mac addresses connected to the router. i takes more time to crack wep then finding mac. it takes a bit longer to search for hidden wifi. i use mac filter together with WPA2+AES, but not to avoid hacking, but to make it harder)

most routers have now WPA2, if not , then there is nothing u can do. also wifi password should not be in the dictionary. to check who is connected to the network at any time, use nmap or ettercap or check ur router.

look here, under "station" Image

jillmail
n00b

Post by jillmail » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:42 am

This always got me in http://howtohacklife101.blogspot.com/20 ... twork.html you just needed a lil startup info so be careful

SkriptAsylum
Apprentice

Post by SkriptAsylum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 pm

No on can just 'hop' on unless they have some wits about scanning for connected devices.
@stasik- As I stated two replies back, I'm in agreement with you. You could also use nMap, or really any network discovery type program [Fing for Android, for example] to find connected devices along with MAC addresses and then spoof with a MITM. My router was before WPA2, so I for one have to make due with what securities I can manage =)

@jillmail- I'd also recommend the Default Password List [has router model and make]

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

jorgea
n00b

Post by jorgea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 pm

This is likely not possible if you have a secure network