GFSK security

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
Book
Sargeant at Arms

GFSK security

Post by Book » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:39 am

Hey,

I've read that GFSK is a frequency shifting technology, but I was wondering, is that technology implemented to improve security or is it just a way of transmiting data (like FM radio, which is also frequency modulating) and maybe achieving better quality or higher speeds. Because I have a cordless phone that uses GFSK, is it possible that someone could decrypt my conversations?

telcontar
31337 Martial Artist

Post by telcontar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 am

AFAIK, the signal is passed through a gaussian filter for pulse shaping ("for keeping stuff in it's frequency band"), that is, for signal bandwidth control, not security.

A quick google would've told you i thinks
Fate favours the well prepared ...

Code: Select all

(A + 3, N - 1, X)

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Book » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:41 am

Yes, actually the FSK (frequency shift keying) part is most possibly responsible for security (because it shifts the frequency at which it's broadcasting.

DigitolJedi
Hacker in Training

Post by DigitolJedi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:31 pm

book you are mistaken. It's too limit bandwith which means less distortion in the signal. Less dropped packets less time taken to download.
If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire catalogue.

Book
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Book » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Yes, but still, if it changes the frequency in which the signals are transmitted, won't that make it harder for someone to intercept the signal?