CPU & GPU Recommendation for Mid-end workstation

If you've never had problems with your hardware you must have a contract with God. Share your pain and knowledge with other members.
C4709
n00b

CPU & GPU Recommendation for Mid-end workstation

Post by C4709 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 am

I require a system that can run 3 - 4 virtual machines, Photoshop, and 3ds Max - (for hobbyist work not professional) Which Graphic Card and (Intel's) processor should I buy for this purpose.
It would be plus if the graphic card support linux out of box since I will be using Linux for my every day work.
My Budget for CPU and GPU combined is around 700 USD

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: CPU & GPU Recommendation for Mid-end workstation

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

For the CPU I would say one of the Intel i7's, though AMD has some interesting options too with some very affordable 6-core. Right now I think the power/$ is probably in favor of AMD.

As for graphics cards, linux support for nVidia based cards is probably a little better right now. But that's not to say the support for AMD/ATI ones is in any way lacking. Support for both is pretty good.
I would personally go with an nVidia based one right now for the reason of Cuda. Though most GPU accelerated stuff also has OpenCL support allowing it to run fine on both, if you're going to write some tool to run on a GPU yourself, Cuda is much easier to use from the developer perspective.

In reality it's 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. Since you have a budget set, realistically it should just be whatever you can find the best deal for.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Spyd3r-Mom
Sargeant at Arms

Re: CPU & GPU Recommendation for Mid-end workstation

Post by Spyd3r-Mom » Thu May 16, 2013 12:55 am

What is a "mid-end" workstation? When i think workstation i think Opteron/Xeon with registered ram and enterprise class storage. Is there something else?

If not then you need the most bang for your buck in consumer parts. A 6-core i7 most likely and a healthy overclock..
Bush Declares war on Middle Earth
"We have to help," President says. Powell uncertin how to attack ficional enemy.