Navyn OS

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
wesley762
n00b

Navyn OS

Post by wesley762 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello,
Im pretty new here but i think i have something nice to share to you all. :)
I happen to own a copy of Navynos 2005.01. http://navynos.linux.pl/
Navyn OS is a gnu/linux distribution based on Gentoo. Gentoo isn't a typical distribution like Debian or Slackware, it doesn't even have an installer, it is similar to making your own distribution. The main part of Gentoo is portage, a set of scripts for installing and removing programs. You can install programs easily by typing the command emerge program_name or use user friendly program with GUI porthole. In portage there are thousands of programs. There are also dependencies between programs so the command emerge will install programs AND all needed dependencies. The command emerge downloads the program from the network, unpacks, compiles and installs it. Installing programs is very easy using emerge. The actual installation of gentoo is very difficult, the instruction manual is very long http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml and it is too hard for inexperienced users. Navyn OS is the completed system build from Gentoo. It is also a live-cd so you can boot and run it from the cdrom drive. Since version 2004.07 there is a user friendly installer on the cdrom, and with only a few mouse clicks you can install the system onto your hard drive. The distribution is compiled for 686 cpu (pentium2) so it is more powerfull than most common distributions which are compiled for 386/486. The heart of Navyn OS is kernel 2.6.8.1 and I tried to put the newest versions of software on the cdrom. There is for example xorg 6.7.0, mplayer 1.0, and gimp2.0. Fluxbox is the default window manager, because it is very fast and comfortable, the memory requirements are minimal in contrast to such slow and bloated window managers like KDE or GNOME. The system was also designed to be easy for iso customizing, so you can add programs to the cdrom image using special scripts. While the system is booting it configures all your hardware ( especially network cards and sound cards ), and all the programs have small hardware requirements. On the cd there are complete library headers so it is great for compiling programs. I tried to include many programs connected with security and network. There are for example sniffers like dsniff, tcpdumpm and also port scanners: nmap, nessus. This distribution is made by me: Mateusz Dworak aka compbatant.
From what ive read and seen this Gentoo Based Distro is "very rare",
considering every.. single.. link.. is dead.

thats why as contribution LOL :lol:
Il sure be willing to upload this Distro and share it with you all.
if there is intrest off course. sure im still a noob on linux,
but i think this would be a nice try out for the linux users.

I myself would love to work with this distro since it has all the tools and programming tools inplented,
or ready to be compiled. the only problem i am experiencing with this distro is that it wont install my eth.
so im not able to "go online". (any ideas to solve ?)

So my question is there any intrest in this Distro to try it out ?
And is ther anyone that is familier with this Distro ?
if so i will upload it and put the link on this forum under tools. :)

Greetings,
Wesley762

Aiden
Administrator

Re: Navyn OS

Post by Aiden » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm just personally curious, but why are you so interested in this "rare" OS, over others such as Debian or Ubuntu?

I had a look around the site, and couldn't really find much useful information about what sets it apart, and furthermore why it's useful. I'm not bashing on the OS, I'm just curious to what's driving your passion for it.

Care to share?
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

wesley762
n00b

Post by wesley762 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Well,

The reason i like this distro so much because well its kinda oldskool i guess.
It has some tools which im familier with.
And ofcourse it also looks kick ass :P

I've just been trying to get this distro running sucssesfully with Grub bootloader.
And also having all hardware working and ive gotta pretty far with the live CD.
But installing it with Grub is kinda annoying. But il get it done.
Only thing still lacking even on the live CD or Installed on HDD/USB is my eth0. internet.

And since i dont know much about linux yet.
Im just trying to get this distro running to do up some experience.
I guess it just challanges me to get this distro up and running.

the errors im struggling with right now are :
durning bootup.
special device /dev/fd0 does not exist

Starting WLAN Devices: FATAL: Module wlan0 not found.
FATAL: Module wlan0 not found.

and if anyone would be intrested in it il upload it here.

anyway thats what drives me to this Distro.. for me as noob i see it as a challange to get it up and running.
sure maybe lame. but in my eyes it would be another step in the right direction on linux :).

and hey ;) you got to start somewhere...

Greetings,
Wesley 762

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:39 pm

fd0 is typically your floppy. If you don't have on installed edit you /etc/fstab and remove the fd0 line.

Do you have a wireless card installed? If not you can remove the lines for that, typically in /etc/network/interfaces. Although it sounds like you need to add a kernel module driver for the wireless card.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

wesley762
n00b

Post by wesley762 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Il describe the exact problem.

i got an onboard wired networkcard. (realtek)
always worked on windows but yes i know linux is diffrent tin these ways especially an old distro like navynos.

im currently fighting to get it to work il describe the errors better and the line removing wont work already tryed that possible solution (thanks tho)
anyway here are the errors. described line for line.
errors durning booting HD installed Navynos :

* you need to set etc/hostname/ to a valid hostname [*][/color]

(etc, etc) all OK
then....

* mounting network filesystems... [ok]
* starting local...
Mount : special device /dev/fd0 does not exist
* Failed to start Local. [!!]

* ERROR : Problem starting needed services.
* "Splash" was not started.

(prompt. login for root. but nothing more)
During Live CD Boot Navynos nearly at the end before Root~: Prompt. :

* Hardware detection started...
* Processor 0 is intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3202MHz, 1024 KB Cache [OK]
* Not loading APM Bios Support.... [OK]
* Coldplugging (input devices, isapnp devices, pci devices, pnp devices,usb devices)... [OK']
* Network device eth0 Detected, DHCP Broadcasting for IP.... [OK]
* Starting gpm... [OK]
* starting hdd temp deamon... [OK]
* mounting network filesystems... [OK]
* Starting vixie-cron... [OK]
*starting WLAN Devices...
FATAL : Module wlan0 not found.
Error : Device wlan0 does not seem to be present.
Make sure you've inserted the appropriate
modules or that your modules.conf file contains the appropriate aliase(s).
wlanctl-ng : No such Device
error : Autojoin indicated failure!

* starting local... [OK]
* Setting franmebuffer console images... [OK]

NAVYNOS loaded.

(promp root)
other errors i had are fixed now.
but these 2... i just cant get a grip on it.
i tryed configuring the eth0 manually acording to the info my windows system runs on (IP+1,Gateway,DNS)

but still it woulndt have any effect.
im working on this for 5 days now.
and yes i tryed alot of possible solutions to be found on google but they dont work
(like deleting the floppy line at fstab)
and im hoping someone could lent me a helping hand. :)

Thanks in advance,
Wesley762

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Not a problem. wlan0 is wireless. If you don't have wireless disable it where I showed you. The other is floppy, disable that as well.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

Smiley
Sargeant at Arms

Post by Smiley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:56 pm

If you want to stop wlan0 from being started at boot in Gentoo you should cd to /etc/init.d and type "rc-update del net.wlan0". Not sure if it would be any different in Navyn. Typing "rc-update show" and copying the output will give us more info to play with too.

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:02 am

Why bother trying to get an outdated, unsupported OS to work? Oldskool or not, nothing's cool about using shit that doesn't work.

wesley762
n00b

Post by wesley762 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm

hy bother trying to get an outdated, unsupported OS to work? Oldskool or not, nothing's cool about using shit that doesn't work.
nvm i got it working fine now.
but thanks for sharing your tought on this LOL

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 pm

wesley762 wrote:
hy bother trying to get an outdated, unsupported OS to work? Oldskool or not, nothing's cool about using shit that doesn't work.
nvm i got it working fine now.
but thanks for sharing your tought on this LOL
Congrats, you're running an outdated OS that uses repositories filled with code that it's not guaranteed to support. Awesome shit.

wesley762
n00b

Post by wesley762 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Congrats, you're running an outdated OS that uses repositories filled with code that it's not guaranteed to support. Awesome shit.
dude what did i do to you im not forcing u to run it am i.
im just using it for practice since i dont know much about linux.
i use backtrack for the rest.
so if all u have is sarcasm dont bother.

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:57 pm

wesley762 wrote:
dude what did i do to you im not forcing u to run it am i.
im just using it for practice since i dont know much about linux.
i use backtrack for the rest.
so if all u have is sarcasm dont bother.
I think what he's trying to say (in a nicer way) is that "learning Linux" on an outdated OS teaches you close to nothing. Sure, it may teach you the fundamentals (which you would learn anyway if you used a more updated OS) but there's a reason it's outdated - things have evolved, updated, and surpassed OS's like these.

You might learn some but not nearly as much as you would learn if you were to run a maintained OS such as Debian or Ubuntu.
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

wesley762
n00b

Post by wesley762 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

things have evolved, updated, and surpassed OS's like these.

You might learn some but not nearly as much as you would learn if you were to run a maintained OS such as Debian or Ubuntu.
Thanks drusepth,

I will try getting my hands on ubuntu an Debian and get used to those before going any futher.
Im still on learning hte language's to program so until i know some of those il try these 2 for sure.
Thanks for the advice

Greets,
Wesley762

dimcode
n00b

Post by dimcode » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh my goodness, do you seriously have a copy of the ultimate, low-resource Navyn Operating System ?! Care to upload and share it please? I have been looking for it EVERYWHERE and I can't find it, every single link is dead as you mentioned!!
-> [dimCode] <-

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:40 am

Archives are slow, but I might be able to pull up a copy for you.
Just out of curiosity; why? As far as I'm aware it's a 7 year old trimmed down live Gentoo running fluxbox.
Surely there's something better available today?
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.