Own Distribution

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
Robb
Corporal

Own Distribution

Post by Robb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am

Anyone else besides me interested in crafting their own Linux distribution? Seems like it'd be an extensive learning experience :grin:

Code: Select all

root = ( -b + sqrt(pow(b, 2) - (4 * a * c) ) ) / (2 * a);
		return root;

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Own Distribution

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I've considered it in the past. But just takes too much time and effort for a probably pretty half-assed distro I'd get outof it.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

stasik
Guru

Post by stasik » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 am

unless its purely for educational reason, coz there are so many distros out there, really hard to grab the audience, but yes, its time consuming...

Robb
Corporal

Post by Robb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm looking for a time-consuming project, as I won't be taking any summer programming courses, and only have Calculus I and English 102 to look forward to, maybe I'll start going ahead from what I learned this semester a few chapters in the book, and see if that's enough to get me started in openGL or something fun.

Started to look online at some openGL source, and it looks like I'd have to study some more OOP concepts in C++ before moving into it.

Back on topic, I looked around online, and found tools to just pretty much build a Linux distribution and call it your own, after selecting which packages and repositories you would like to have installed, along with your window environment, so I kind of ditched the whole distribution idea for now, as it'd be easier to just make a custom distribution using the automated online tools, and a whole lot less time consuming.

return root;

BattousaiX
Your Senior

Post by BattousaiX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:38 pm

You may want to look into LFS if you're interested. It will allow you to build tools you need. Where the design and some packaging tools is all that you'll be missing.
Living tomorrow as another day of the past

Robb
Corporal

Post by Robb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Yeah I found that site already, have it bookmarked :grin:

Thanks though.

return root;

CaptainCheeseTits
n00b

Post by CaptainCheeseTits » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Would it be worth the time and effort, thats the question. I'd like to see a distro like the paranoid linux distro mentioned in the book Little Brother. Its a linux distro geared towards security. The ultimate pre-hardened OS. If a distro like that existed I would switch to it permanently. As far as I know people did start making this distro so you wouldn't even have to start from scratch, you could just pick up from where they left it. I don't know what it takes to make a distro and don't know if I could be of any assistance but if you do decide to make a security distro like this I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

EDIT: Just found this: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Hat_Linux

I'd like to see a complete all purpose distro designed for maximum security though, not some crappy little floppy disc distro.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:38 pm

We should start the official hackerthreads distro.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us

GhostHawk
Ex-Mod

Post by GhostHawk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:06 pm

http://www.rlslog.net/linux-format-uk-n ... -2011-p2p/

May be some good info in that magazine.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. It is also my opinion, that I am an ass hole.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:55 pm

I think it's just a matter of identifying what makes up a core distro, then figuring out how you put the pieces together. Of course that can involve far more than I let on.

foldingstock
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by foldingstock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Robb wrote:Anyone else besides me interested in crafting their own Linux distribution? Seems like it'd be an extensive learning experience :grin:
Instead of building YALD (Yet Another Linux Distribution), your efforts would be more worthwhile put to use bettering an existing Linux distribution. All distributions need testers, package maintainers, etc.

Not sure how you can help? Check out this page.
"If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him."
- Benjamin Franklin

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Yeah I can agree with that. There are hundreds of distros out there at any given time; the vast majority of them are the equivalent of space junk. But if more focus were put on some of the top distros, then well, they would be better distros. Many of the errors that you will encounter while using Linux are typically simple things that could have easily been caught if another set of eyes were looking at the distro.

FYI, you dorks in school for computer related stuff. If you volunteer as a maintainer for a major distro, you could view it as a pseudo internship. You can legitimately make it a bullet point on your resume.

Here's another way to contribute:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getting_Involved

@Op, if your still interested in really making a distro for whatever reason, I would probably go the LFS route. That seems to be the way to go. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/