Bypassing RAM limit in Windows 7

This is the place to bitch, bash, and get help with all things Windows.
Dudeman
n00b

Bypassing RAM limit in Windows 7

Post by Dudeman » Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 am

For 64-bit Windows 7, the ram limit is 8 GB for home basic, 16 for home premium, and 192 for professional, enterprise, and ultimate. Is there a way to modify my home basic to support more than 8 GB?

It seems like the 8 and 16 GB limits are artificial limitations put into place by Microsoft in order to get people to buy the more expensive versions, while 192 GBs is the actual highest Windows 7 can support.

If it is an artificial limitation, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to modify something and bypass it.

stasik
Guru

Re: Bypassing RAM limit in Windows 7

Post by stasik » Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 pm

if i am not mistaken, u can "modify" or shall we call it "updrage" ur windows, so it become ultimate version. i think it would be easier than searching for the cause of the limitation.. but as it could cause damage to ur os, a full clean install is recommended, selecting the ultimate version during installation. of course u ll have to "activate" it)

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun May 29, 2011 6:41 am

You could try to hook up a kernel debugger during boot, and see if at somepoint you see a change in the amout of ram that's available. It should be one of the first things it does. But this method will still require hours of tedious debugging.

Unless you have extensive experience with the windows kernel, it's probably a lot faster to get a job and earn the money to buy windows ultimate.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Dudeman
n00b

Post by Dudeman » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Hmmm... I'd rather not buy a new copy of Windows 7 when I already have one, especially considering that the extra ram would be the only thing in Ultimate that I would use. Nor do I particularly feel like pirating a copy when I already own one. So I guess I'll just stick with my limitations.

Still, sounds like a good project for someone.