Help with computer problems please?!?

This is the place to bitch, bash, and get help with all things Windows.
lisasctt4
n00b

Help with computer problems please?!?

Post by lisasctt4 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 pm

I have a Windows Vista Compaq Presario SR5110NX. Sometimes when I turn it on it makes long beeping noises and the screen won't pop up or anything. I googled to see what might be the problem and found it might either have a virus, motherboard problem, or something's just loose. So I tried the easy one and took it apart, tightened everything inside of it and also cleaned the dust off the fan. Then turned it back on and it was working fine. I haven't had internet in several months so I had to update my virus protection. But sometimes it will freeze up and when I'm forced to turn it off it makes the beeping noise. Then I tighten everything and it works again. Could something else be wrong with it? and how can I fix it? I'm using free avast antivirus protection (free version) and PC tools firewall plus.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Help with computer problems please?!?

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm

From what you describe it sounds like hardware that's failing or about to fail.

You should check your manual, it should tell you exactly what that beep means.
Failure of different components will typically have different patterns of long and/or short beeps.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

Oishi
n00b

Post by Oishi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:56 pm

The long beeping noises you're hearing are probably the bios' beep codes. Google your bios' beep codes and then start the computer and see which matches what you're hearing and it should help narrow down what is wrong.

When something is loose and beep codes happen, for me, it's always been the RAM. Try re-seating the RAM and then turning on the computer and see if the beeps still happen if you haven't already done what I suggested above. Even if this fixes it, I'd still check the beep codes anyways to make sure.
"It's impossible to move, to live, to operate at any level without leaving traces, bits, seemingly meaningless fragments of personal information." - William Gibson

lelindaedwards
n00b

Post by lelindaedwards » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:12 pm

it sounds like you have a hardware problem, without knowing the beep code then its hard to make a diagnosis for you.

but im willing to make a guess that it might be something to do with your on-board graphics but as i said it could be something completely different. I doubt it will be a virus as if it was your software would be corrupted and your laptop probably wouldn't start properly.

if you can tell me the beep code (how long the beep lasts for and how spaced out they are) then i could tell you what is wrong and direct you from there.