Circumventing Eblaster

This is the place to bitch, bash, and get help with all things Windows.
razielyeshua
n00b

Circumventing Eblaster

Post by razielyeshua » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:42 pm

My company has issued me a computer to use while traveling but they’ve installed eblaster on it. They don’t want me using the computer for personal purposes on company time, which is fine, except I don’t trust whoever is watching my computer to not look at my activities when I’m off work time and using the computer personally. They will get upset if I disable or uninstall the software, maybe even fire me. So I was wondering if there’s a way to circumvent the software, such as say, booting from a flash drive when I’m on personal time, or will the software still find a way to record and monitor even then?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Circumventing Eblaster

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 am

If you boot off a live cd or a usb stick it will not be able to monitor you. Eblaster is just an application installed under windows, if you don't even load windows it will not start.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

razielyeshua
n00b

Post by razielyeshua » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:01 am

If I add or modify files during the thumb drive boot, will it notice or report it during the next time it loads?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 am

Possibly. I don't know eblaster well enough to answer that. It seems feasible that it keeps hashes of all files on disk though it'd take a lot of time and compute power to check them all the time, or even on every boot so I don't think it's very likely it'll do that. It may just check important files. Who knows.

The real question though, why if you just want to use it for some browsing/private activity would you need to or even want to modify files on disk?
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!

razielyeshua
n00b

Post by razielyeshua » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14 pm

i'm not looking to add anything crazy, but the laptop is pretty powerful and has a nice graphics card. I really wouldn't mind gaming on an airplane ride or something like that :)

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Then do a Linux off USB boot and install steam on there. More and more games are becoming available on Steam for Linux atm.

There are also live windows disks, but I honestly can't say how good they are for something like gaming because I've never done it/seen anyone else try.

razielyeshua
n00b

Post by razielyeshua » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Maybe i'll go ahead and do that. It would just make life simpler if i could make it happen in with windows but everything i've researched says that a bootable windows disc has to match the installed OS, which is Windows 8 and glitchy as hell, so a bootle Windows 8 stick didn't appeal to me much anyways. Thanks for the advice

psilocybin
Sargeant at Arms

Post by psilocybin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 pm

razielyeshua wrote:Maybe i'll go ahead and do that. It would just make life simpler if i could make it happen in with windows but everything i've researched says that a bootable windows disc has to match the installed OS, which is Windows 8 and glitchy as hell, so a bootle Windows 8 stick didn't appeal to me much anyways.
really? I didn't know that, that sucks.

maybe you could make a bootable vmware usb stick with an included windows image. from a quick google search that's apparently a thing, though it might be too much work and not worth it once you look into all the details on how that would work. note that I'm pulling this idea out of my ass, it might be a terrible idea.

you could always get a copy of eblaster on a VM at home with a kernel mode debugger and try to crack it... (also a bad idea if you just want a quick solution, I'm full of bad ideas today)

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm

I think a big USB with some Linux distro on it is the way to go here. All you need is the iso image and what I use, Win32 Disk Imager to make a bootable usb in just minutes. I think anything besides this is something they might notice. Like blocking where ebalster calls home to in your hosts file.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us