How can I copy videos from my Dish recordings to computer?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it will fit here.
gigman7
n00b

How can I copy videos from my Dish recordings to computer?

Post by gigman7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:58 pm

I have several fishing videos copied from my dish receiver to a hard drive. Does anyone know of a way that I can get these recordings to my computer into a .mp4 or .wmv or any other type?

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: How can I copy videos from my Dish recordings to compute

Post by Cool_Fire » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:21 am

I think the obvious first step would be to plug the hard drive they are one now into a computer and see what sort of format they are in now. If the receiver hasn't done anything too funky with it, odds are you'll be able to transcode them to whatever format you prefer.

As a side-note, and not that I mind. But why is this posted on a hacking forum? First and foremost this seems like a question for the device manufacturer's support department. Failing that I'd still look for some satellite or video enthusiast forum before trying here. Or is it that there is a chunk of information missing from your post and you already know it's not easily accessible and you need someone to help with the reverse engineering of the device and/or video format?
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

gigman7
n00b

Post by gigman7 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:35 am

Thanks for the reply. I have plugged it into the computer. I can't even read the drive. It's going to take some extra knowledge. Dish does not make it easy. That's why I'm posting it here.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:42 am

Does it not recognize it at all or is it able to see it's a drive with a filesystem but it can't make sense of the files?
In the first case, I'd try reading it with something like gparted first to see if it's not some partition type or filesystem that your pc does not know about. If all that fails you could try some carving tools to see if the video data is written directly to disk in some known format.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.