I've been hacked!!

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
PSlop
n00b

I've been hacked!!

Post by PSlop » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:16 pm

I recently was texted by an old friend of mine. I was asleep at the time so I didn't get back to him right away. During the time that I was comatose, someone else, fron another phone number returned a text to him saying "who is this". remember, I'm asleep and my IPhone 6 is right next to me on silent. He continues to have a conversation with this person at a different number than mine. It turns out that the other phone number belongs to my ex-wife. She seems to be receiving texts and alerts (and possibly more) from my phone. would anyone know if it is possible to clone sim cards made within the last few years? and, to solve the problem, do I just need to change my sim card?

Oh, and I know about the problems with itunes account problems where multiple devices receiving the same texts. I changed all my cloud info (login e-mail) after we split up.

Thank you for any help, it is very appreciated.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: I've been hacked!!

Post by Cool_Fire » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:56 pm

PSlop wrote:would anyone know if it is possible to clone sim cards made within the last few years?
Short answer; no.
Long answer; Kind of. There's no good way to do it so as to get the behavior you're describing. Even if you were able to make a clone, it'd have the same phone number, not a different one. And you'd not be able to use your original one and the clone at the same time. At least, I'm not aware of any way to do this. If there is, it'd certainly be no simple feat. Definitely not something you can have done at your local phone store. I don't think there's even anything in the known pages of the NSA ANT catalog that will do this.
PSlop wrote:to solve the problem, do I just need to change my sim card?
Just for reference, if someone was somehow operating a clone of your SIM card, you'd have to get a new one from your provider and have the old one disconnected. Or just get a new subscription altogether. But again, I don't think that's what is happening here.
PSlop wrote:I know about the problems with itunes account problems where multiple devices receiving the same texts. I changed all my cloud info (login e-mail) after we split up.
I have heard of this happening but I don't know enough about this to say for sure if this is what could be happening here. If this is happening the other device should still be connected to your Apple ID and you should be able to see it in your "associated devices" list on your account.
PSlop wrote:It turns out that the other phone number belongs to my ex-wife. She seems to be receiving texts and alerts (and possibly more) from my phone.
Lacking a better explanation, it's possible that there was malware or "parental monitoring" software installed on your phone. But as far as I'm aware this needs to be installed from the App store with some pretty obvious permissions and it'll be listed there. Unless you jailbroke your device at some point, or of course if it was jailbroken specifically for this purpose. If that's the case, all bets are off.

My suggestion would be to very thoroughly check your Apple ID account, settings & associated devices (or set up a new Apple ID) and then factory reset your iPhone. (Or buy another iPhone of course. The new ones are out anyway.)
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.