how to get started with raspberry pi networking

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
JojoGamesDev
n00b

how to get started with raspberry pi networking

Post by JojoGamesDev » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:48 pm

I got my raspberry pi 3 recently and was able to ssh onto it and use the raspi itself with monitor, mouse and keyboard too. I know the basics of navigating in the linux terminal and a few other commands. Now I want to get into networking, so I (the noob that I am :/ ) decided to begin with nmap and aircrack-ng.. I have been told and personally think that beginning with these advanced tools is not a good way to get into networking and in the end wlan cracking and so on.

What should I learn to be able to use and understand tools like aircrack-ng or nmap?

Although this post may seem noobish I actually want to learn about networking/cracking with the raspberry pi/linux.
Thanks in advance and sorry for my english, I'm from germany.

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: how to get started with raspberry pi networking

Post by Cool_Fire » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:20 pm

It may sound basic but if you want to get into networking, start with networking rather than with some specific tools.

I'm sure I've said this many times before, but in my opinion a tool should not be some "magic black box" that does something for you without you understanding how. You should be able to reproduce the same results by hand and only then use tools to make the process easier. If you really understand what a tool does and how it does it you can be sure you're using it right as well as not being dependent on the specific features that tool may or may not have implemented.

Of course this is entirely impractical in many cases, but the idea is you have the knowledge that would, in theory, enable you to do it by hand if you had enough time and documentation on hand. A good rule of thumb for me has been to think to myself if I would be able to write such a tool myself. (Again if you had the time of course.)

For some practical things on where you could start;
- The OSI model. It's rather useful to know what layer you're working on so you know what you can do in theory and what you can expect to find.
- Some common layer 2 protocols like Ethernet, ARP and VLAN.
- Some common layer 3 protocols like IPv4, IPv6, ICMP and GRE.
- Some common layer 4 protocols like TCP, UDP and BGP.
- If you're interested in the really low level stuff from layer 1, some really basic radio theory for WiFi and/or modulation and signalling stuff could be fun. But practically you probably won't need this unless you plan to use/make some really low level hardware stuff.
- For WiFi cracking stuff, some idea of how the different encryption mechanisms work is very useful.

Side notes;
- Don't take this for the gospel truth. It's just my ideas and experience of what I have found useful.
- Don't take this to mean I think you should know every detail about all this by heart. Usually a reasonable global understanding of how a system works is good enough. You can always look up any specific details when you need them.
Example; know that an IP packet has some headers and body, maybe what some of the main headers do, but you probably won't need to know every individual header, what order they are in and what byte sizes they are.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.