Which Antivirus do you rank?

Lets get down to business on ASM, reverse engineering, product activation, and what it's really all about. [ THERE ARE NO WAREZ HERE ]
ethic
Your Senior

Which Antivirus do you rank?

Post by ethic » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:17 pm

I run across numerous people ranking Norton, etc, good antivirus programs. Which do you prefer from a 'presonal' experience within a Windows platform?
The days go by quicker and the nights don't seem to differ It's gettin cold, so I shivered and asked my soul to be delivered - Talib Kweli

sn4k3
Sargeant at Arms

Post by sn4k3 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 pm

avg is lightweight, effective, and free for home use.
i believe it is made by gri software.

i prefer it over the behemoth drivespace and resource wasting norton.

ethic
Your Senior

Post by ethic » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:17 am

sn4k3 wrote:avg is lightweight, effective, and free for home use.

good post bro, i'll look into it.
The days go by quicker and the nights don't seem to differ It's gettin cold, so I shivered and asked my soul to be delivered - Talib Kweli

ethic
Your Senior

Post by ethic » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:46 am

sn4k3 wrote:avg is lightweight, effective, and free for home use.

Don't happen to know the serial number for the corporate or home edition, do you?

MergeWithTheMist
Corporal

Post by MergeWithTheMist » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:24 am

LOL come one people! Everyone who is anyone knows KASPERSKY AV PRO is the best av out and the fasted to detecting anything! They get updated at least 3- 4 times a day in most cases. And they arent like mcafee or norton who make their own viruses tand unleash them to make people buy their product. Yes they did it b4 there is an article. But anyway....Im serious kaspersky is pretty good though in my opinion only thing is uses lots of resources. But, overall a good av. You wont be disappointed. :wink:
Hey and what can the cops do?......
Your not a Cop your a Robot.......
::.While you rest on your accomplishments someone else is making them Obsolete.::

sn4k3
Sargeant at Arms

Post by sn4k3 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:16 am

~MergeWithTheMist
ummm yah... resource hogger :roll:
i suggest you read the avg reviews - and yah - it is light on the resources.

~ethic
701H-TVE690-PE-CHY-SJ-Jll
V7 mailserver
just untick the mailserver component @ install, assuming you don't need it.

nir0c
Your Senior

Post by nir0c » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:39 am

Well does AVG AV has "auto-detect". So as soon as you run a virus (which you don't know it is), AVG will pop-up and tell you that this file has a virus in it and it will now be deleted and the file repaired? Or even as soon as soon as you download a file with a virus in it does AVG tell you that the file had a virus in it and it has been removev without executing the file? I can go on and on... But I preffer Norton. If you can prove to me that AVG has more advantages then Norton (not because it uses less system resources, but at catching viruses) then I'll sure move to AVG. :)

nir0c

LinuXfreaK
n00b

Post by LinuXfreaK » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:04 am

way do go man. i agree i also like AVG. i thnk norton really sucks.. ah that story abt norton making there own viruses is that really true... i also heard that a couple of times but never beleaved that 100% .. so dudes tell me is that really true..
in avg its really kool one thing im sure its takes a lil time like 10-15mins to run a live update.. BUT in norton it takes me 45mins to do soo blah that suxs man i mean in dialup ok,...

moorer
Owns you

Post by moorer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:32 am

Avast! - This was probably the best one that I used out of the below. Avast has amazing options inside of it, its small and even has script blocking and bootable virus scanning that is amazing. It will reboot your machine into a scan phase if the file(s) that are infected can not be deleted, then starts doing its job. You got all the options you need to manage the infected file @ reboot and the interface is very easy to use, even skinnable if you like. Probably updated as frequent as MicroTrend.

AVG - Never Tried it.

MicroTrend Online - Seems to have one of the best updated db's for viruses etc. Just no real time protection if using the web based scan.

Norton - I think that norton is falling behind as far as viruses, more people are known to get them and SO many programs are designed to take out norton anymore.

McAfee - I was really impressed with McAfees. They have improevd it a lot over the years, even has abilities to scan for spyware, not just all the typical stuff such as viruses, trojans worms and so forth. I really like the Control Center, it runs in the systray as one icon, but could manage the firewall, spam killer, anti-virus and whatever product they use. Takes up a lot of tasks, but if you are running a lot of RAM then you should be just fine.

Kasperski - I do not like this AV. It picks up a lot of my Visual Basic projects as trojans or keyloggers (Y! Ad Killer and someone else reported it on the forum I believe) . I think that is a down fall for a lot of VB programmers who make something thats NOT malicious.
I'm FREE BITCHES!!!

ethic
Your Senior

Post by ethic » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:51 am

I'm quite impressed with Mcafee's Virus scan also. I really didn't like their oldest version.

sn4k3
Sargeant at Arms

Post by sn4k3 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:42 am

nir0c wrote:Well does AVG AV has "auto-detect". So as soon as you run a virus (which you don't know it is), AVG will pop-up and tell you that this file has a virus in it and it will now be deleted and the file repaired? Or even as soon as soon as you download a file with a virus in it does AVG tell you that the file had a virus in it and it has been removev without executing the file? I can go on and on... But I preffer Norton. If you can prove to me that AVG has more advantages then Norton (not because it uses less system resources, but at catching viruses) then I'll sure move to AVG. :)

nir0c
the answer is to all is yes.

that is why the low resource usage is a relevant point as the av's are always running a background process for auto-protection.

funny thing about norton, last year i got the annakournikova vbs in my inbox and norton did not detect it.
this was a couple of months after the virus emerged and i had the latest definitions too.
luckily, i got to the computer before anyone else and spotted it with it's lame .txt.vbs extensions.

~moorer
i hope mcafee has improved their software. in 1998 i had a bad experience with it screwing things up.

t3nd3rsquid
Sargeant at Arms

Post by t3nd3rsquid » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:19 pm

norton is my favorite by far , way betta then Mcaffe,

tareq
n00b

Post by tareq » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:19 pm

mcafee version 8 can detect all (spyware,keyloger ,trojanz even with pack+scramble,viruse ) .....but also u should have auto update.

snagnot
n00b

Post by snagnot » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:40 pm

KASPERSKY takes out all antivirus software by far... 8)

Net Battle Bot
Owns you

Post by Net Battle Bot » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:09 pm

omg this thread is three years old...
Without practice one cannot prove; without proof one cannot be trusted; without trust one cannot be respected.

Trivial
Corporal

Post by Trivial » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:45 pm

I personaly don't like AVG that much.

pengunio
n00b

Post by pengunio » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm

NOD 32 is a really good one

Elite7
n00b

Post by Elite7 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm extremely happy with Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0, i've used it for a number of years now, it also doesn't slow down my system and it can block intrusion attempts.
I would certainly recommend it to anyone! :D

breaker
n00b

Post by breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 am

KASPERSKY yess !
W!nd0ws w!ll f4!l ! the P3ng!un w!ll prev4!l !

Fire-Lynx
Hacker in Training

My 2 cents or 3

Post by Fire-Lynx » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Norton & Alot of the other leading antivirus makers are some of the prime reasons there are so many viruses. As an IT I see alot more problems on computers that run those so called corprate level antivirus progs...

AVG is weak, its only realy aplicable if you are using it with other antivirus progs...

Kaspersky has been one of the best av's out for years. Its almost leagendary.

My personal fav for free light weight AV's is the new A2Squared or A Squared. Go try it out and see what you get.

(Zone Alarm Security Suite)
My fav all in one av that actualy protects your computer instead of leaving ports open in your fire wall is ZONE ALARM its comprehensive and damn good. I havnt seen anything better... It rivals Kaspersky in updates and thurough deep 10+ lvl cleaning engines. It also sports the best fire wall I have attampted to hack, and its fire wall has a realy good prog control. This prog allows you at any time to stop all runing programs and your conection to the internet. It alerts you to hacker intrusions and gives you there ip address that they are hailing from. Ok I am done sucking this progs metaphorical cock but heh try it out.
:twisted:
I must acquiesce in aberrant behavior, I would simply be encouraging the repetition of stupidity.