How to Change Your Subnet Mask/Internal IP/Gateway/DNS

Topics including TCP/IP, OSI, Netbios, exploiting share, proxies and much more
Aiden
Administrator

How to Change Your Subnet Mask/Internal IP/Gateway/DNS

Post by Aiden » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 am

It's easy to change your subnet mask on Windows. Sometimes it's needed and there weren't any decent guides online, so I thought I'd share this bit of knowledge with those that need it.

Well, first of all: you want to open your Network Connections.
Press Start >> Connect To >> Show All Connections

After that, right click your current connection (in my case, the Local Area Connection) and select Properties.

That, as you may have guessed, will bring up the Properties dialog for the selected connection. (Surprise!) From there -- brace yourself -- you must click on the Properties button. Yes, properties of properties [of properties of properties of properties, etc]

Time for the complex stuff. You remember that button you just clicked? Yeah, the "Properties" button? It's going to open up a properties dialog. Still with me? Let's roll. From here, click the bubble that says "Use the following IP address." That will let you set your own internal IP, subnet mask, and gateway. This is called static. When you let the router hand these out to you without you decided what they are, they are dynamic. And now you know the difference between an internal, static IP and an internal, dynamic IP.

You might need to enter in the extra values (IP and Gateway) if you are changing your subnet mask. If you don't know them, you can open up a console (Start >> Run >> "cmd" >> OK) and type ipconfig. It will tell you your current values for those properties.

P.S. This is also posted on my blog here.

sahil sharma
n00b

hi dear

Post by sahil sharma » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:49 am

i want to know to change my ip address through dos cammand pls show me

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: How to Change Your Subnet Mask/Internal IP/Gateway/DNS

Post by Cool_Fire » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:34 am

It might be useful to note that this method only works when you have a static network configuration.
Also, the subnet mask is not something you'd generally want to change.

Anyway, in the case of an automatically assigned IP address by a DHCP server, you can open up a command promt. (Windows button+R -> Type cmd -> Click OK)
And type ipconfig /release
followed by ipconfig /renew

This will tell the DHCP server you want to give up your current IP address and then request a new one.
Note this will in only change the IP of the machine you're on, so if you're on a LAN network and not directly connected to the internet, you still won't be able to evade bans and things like that.