hacking a wireless sign

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
penguinluvinman
Apprentice

hacking a wireless sign

Post by penguinluvinman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Hello,
I was looking for some information on how to hack a wireless digital sign. Not like a road sign, more like at a business or something. I know that the sign is edited wirelessly. From what I gather, there is basically an internet server dedicated only to editing said sign.
I am looking for info on how to detect (assuming its hidden) and access this network. If I can do this, then how can I proceed with editing the sign to my liking?

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

NoUse
time traveller

Re: hacking a wireless sign

Post by NoUse » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Not really familiar with this. I'm sure you can find some information by searching for companies that actually offer these type of "editable" sign services. Figure out from them how their servers work and work from there.

The first step would be to figure out the terminology though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_signage

happy hacking.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger
those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
And you will know my name is the Lord
when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

penguinluvinman
Apprentice

Post by penguinluvinman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Ok I did a little recon this evening and found out that this particular sign is from Daktronics. Specifically I believe it is this one or something very similar. http://www.daktronics.com/ProductsServi ... fault.aspx

narada
Hacker in Training

Post by narada » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:18 pm

There are several model lines available. If the sign is from Daktonics, it is probably using this, based on your initial description. I would also venture a guess that all of their systems have similar communication methods, as demonstrated in this spec sheet. (So you don't have to open the pdf:)
Communications protocol: NTCIP
Communications options: Dial-up, Cellular, Fiber, Ethernet, Direct and Radio

Assuming these displays all work similar to the Daktonics one we can be pretty sure it's using some form of the NTCIP standard. The problem is that you're now dealing with a huge range of unknowns. I've been skimming through the document here (It's 2 MB, beware). In section 12 of chapter 3 it begins breaking NTCIP down, so that's something you should check out. Hell, actually just read all of chapter 3. I'll assume that you're going to read it since you're the one who's interested, so I won't summarize a bunch of crap here. My brain is about to explode anyway so I'm taking a break.

Check out Control systems and fixed installation systems as well. Determining what specific kind of display system is in use may help narrow things down.

Dakshit
n00b

Post by Dakshit » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Default user password for most Daktronics systems, including any network devices:

Username: v7000
Password: dakpass7