limited internet speed

Get the latest on wired & wireless, talk network setups, get help with connectivity problems, web hosts, etc.
021reza
n00b

limited internet speed

Post by 021reza » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am

My internet speed is limited up to 50 kbps but when i try to download files that sizes are smaller than 10 MB , transfer rate increases to 300 kbps.

the question is how i can download larger files ,like hd movies, with the same speed as the smaller do.

thanks in advance

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: limited internet speed

Post by Cool_Fire » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm

There's likely not much you can do about this as it's in the hands of your ISP.
However depending on how sophisticated their methods are for achieving this you may be able to get better results by throttling your connection yourself. Basically this means you make more smaller requests so as to try and get around the restriction and subsequent dropping of your speed.

There's no guarantee that it'll work though, they may simply be enforcing an average of bytes/second downloaded over the last X minutes.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

psilocybin
Sargeant at Arms

Post by psilocybin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Cool_Fire wrote:There's no guarantee that it'll work though, they may simply be enforcing an average of bytes/second downloaded over the last X minutes.
if it were as simple as that it would be easy to tell though, for instance if your connection stayed at the fast speed for a few minutes (which is how long it would take to download a 10 MB file at 300 kbps), then dropped down. if it starts at the slow speed, but only when you start downloading a file > 10 MB, then that would mean that it's doing some kind of deep packet inspection, right? in which case, you could thwart it by routing all your traffic through an encrypted pipe (although for that you would have to either have a friend with a nice shell they would let you use, or a paid shell/VPN service). I guess they could defeat that by doing some combination of those methods, though.

Thor
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by Thor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Are you sure you're not looking at the speed from your computer to your router and not the actual bandwidth beyond that? Hell, I have awesome speed to my router, after that, meh. It sounds like your getting a perfect wireless n speed from your router to your computer. Just food for thought. Many people do not realize the speed you see on your little "icons" about your connectivity is not your real bandwidth speed.

Edit: I actually read everything this time, well now. How can you download at the same speed as other files? As mentioned, that sounds like an isp issue there. Also, you can only ever potentially thwart throttling by encrypting traffic. It may just throttle all traffic, your isp that is. Assuming they are doing that and not what you mentioned.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis.
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us

supersu
n00b

Post by supersu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:33 am

Try using a gateway VPN software like Express vpn or HMA or hotspot sheild , if you are lucky this trick will work for you.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.