Does anyone know good password cracking software?

A safe place for newbies. You won't get flamed here, as long as you've put in some effort before posting (i.e: Google)...
skeleton
n00b

Does anyone know good password cracking software?

Post by skeleton » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Before I say anything, hi i'm new here.

Anyway for about a week I have been looking for good password cracking software that

1. I don't have to compile

2. Works on windows

3. Has a GUI of some sort

I've been looking for ages for something like what I have stated, but the only thing close to it is Brutus. And it barely even works. And I have also tried using a VM (Oracle box to be exact) to try and use Kali Linux for THC Hydra but I'm stuck on a black loading screen for that. Anyway if someone could point me in the direction of a password cracker that somewhat fits that list that would be great.
spook

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Re: Does anyone know good password cracking software?

Post by Cool_Fire » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:46 am

You can run thc-hydra on windows if you really want to. Cross-compile under cygwin has been possible for years.
But the real question is; Why does it need to have a GUI?

In fact hydra isn't really a GUI application either, the only thing the GUI does is generate the CLI command for you by letting you type out the parameters in textboxes rather than in a terminal.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

skeleton
n00b

Post by skeleton » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:21 am

I have tried using cygwin to compile it but I keep getting error messages.
However I think I got it working, I installed the Windows port of THC Hydra and dragged it into cygwin and a bunch of commands popped out. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use any of these commands, or even use them to get a password from an website.
spook

Cool_Fire
Not a sandwich

Post by Cool_Fire » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:48 pm

I sounds like you would benefit a lot from taking a few steps back.
My suggestion would be to start with learning how HTML forms actually work. How they're submitted and how AJAX/javascript is used to do part of this on some websites.
Then when you know how html forms (And by extension, almost all login forms.) work, you can actually figure out which URLs and parameters you need to request in order to make a login attempt to a website.
Once you have all that down, it's just a matter of reading the help for the brute force tool to see how you can tell it those things.

If you're expecting the Hydra GUI (or any other brute force tool really) to let you just provide the website and passwords roll out when you click "go", that's not going to happen.

Some tools will help you find the correct settings a little easier. This is part of the reason why brutus was/is so popular. It has some built in html parsing that lets you click your way through and make a bit of a guess as to which forms and fields might work. But as you learn about html forms and specifically how many modern login forms work, you'll quickly realize why it's so inadequate and doesn't work at all on many modern websites. (Example; brutus has no ability to deal with XSRF tokens in hidden form fields, making every login attempt fail on any website that uses them. Even when using the right username and password.)

Long story short; You should learn how to do it by hand so you understand what you're doing, then use a tool to do it faster/easier. If a tool is a "magical black box" to you, you probably shouldn't be using it since odds are you'll use it wrong and get bogus results or no results at all.
If we're breaking the rules, then how come you can't catch us? You can't find us? I know why. Cause, it's ... MAGIC!
Hackerthreads chat, where the party is going 24/7.

skeleton
n00b

Post by skeleton » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Ah okay. I'll do my homework this time.
Thanks for putting up with the noobs questions lol
spook